Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • needhouseadvice
    • By needhouseadvice 11th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 28Thanks
    needhouseadvice
    Can you paint storage heaters?
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    Can you paint storage heaters? 11th Mar 17 at 11:06 PM
    And if so what's the best kind of paint? Radiator paint?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 41,985 Posts
    • 48,599 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    I wouldn't.

However if you do, yes radiator paint that is designed to handle getting hot!

Post on the 'in your home' forum, or on https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/decorating/
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 6,134 Posts
    • 5,882 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    In theory I suppose you can, but I don't think I've ever seen examples of it having been done. Might look a bit amateurish compared with the original finish.
    • needhouseadvice
    • By needhouseadvice 11th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    needhouseadvice
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    I wouldn't.

However if you do, yes radiator paint that is designed to handle getting hot!

Post on the 'in your home' forum, or on https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/decorating/
    Originally posted by G_M
    Oops sorry!

I've inherited some very old and stained ones so anything would be an improvement. Just don't want to somehow put myself at risk.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Mar 17, 11:44 PM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:44 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:44 PM
    Blackfriar brand radiator paint specifically mentions suitable for storage heaters.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • needhouseadvice
    • By needhouseadvice 11th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    needhouseadvice
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    Blackfriar brand radiator paint specifically mentions suitable for storage heaters.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thank you!
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 12th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    Typical radiators won't get above the temperature of the hot water inside (what, 60C or so? ) but storage heaters could get hotter. A paint that specifically says it's suitable seems the best bet. If the only alternative is to replace them then you don't have much to lose by trying it, I suppose.
    • needhouseadvice
    • By needhouseadvice 12th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    needhouseadvice
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    Typical radiators won't get above the temperature of the hot water inside (what, 60C or so? ) but storage heaters could get hotter. A paint that specifically says it's suitable seems the best bet. If the only alternative is to replace them then you don't have much to lose by trying it, I suppose.
    Originally posted by casper_g
    Yes, can't afford to replace right now. Has anyone painted theirs and lived to tell the tale?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 7,266 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    martindow
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    I think I might try T-cut first to see if taking off the surface exposes paint below which looks better. If you do decide to paint them they will need a good sanding to provide a key for the new paint.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    knightstyle
    A while ago a friend who was a car body repairer took the outer casings from his storage heaters to work, rubbed them down and sprayed them psychedelic colours, well it was the 70s, using Kemitone car paint, they looked great and I often wonder what happened to them.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 12th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    Yes, can't afford to replace right now. Has anyone painted theirs and lived to tell the tale?
    My OH painted our storage heater as some one had stained it badly. He used radiator paint and it was fine really good finish. He took cover of, light sanding then 2 coats sprayed on. We lived in that property for a year after and it still looked as good as new and it was a really old storage heater.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • patman99
    • By patman99 12th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 8,096 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    patman99
    Go for black as a finish. Strange as it might seem, they did an experiment on TV a while back whereby they took two identicle electric radiators and painted one black.
    The black one not only heated up quicker, but gave off more heat as well. They estimated that by paintinf a radiator black, it became 30% mor energy efficient.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 759.94/ 1000 (that's 75.49%)

3-6 month EF 240.61/3600 (that's 4 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 12th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 3,196 Thanks
    bazzyb
    Can you paint storage heaters?

I guess you can paint anything if you really want to...
    • needhouseadvice
    • By needhouseadvice 12th Mar 17, 11:50 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    needhouseadvice
    My OH painted our storage heater as some one had stained it badly. He used radiator paint and it was fine really good finish. He took cover of, light sanding then 2 coats sprayed on. We lived in that property for a year after and it still looked as good as new and it was a really old storage heater.
    Originally posted by pinkladyvenus
    Good to know it actually works!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    sheramber
    Go for black as a finish. Strange as it might seem, they did an experiment on TV a while back whereby they took two identicle electric radiators and painted one black.
    The black one not only heated up quicker, but gave off more heat as well. They estimated that by paintinf a radiator black, it became 30% mor energy efficient.
    Originally posted by patman99
    the colour black absorbs heat, white reflects it.

Black cars get hotter in the sun than white cars, black dogs suffer more from the heat than white dogs.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 7,266 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    martindow
    They estimated that by painting a radiator black, it became 30% more energy efficient.
    Originally posted by patman99
    Despite their name radiators heat mainly by convection currents of air, don't they? I don't think the colour will make much difference.
    • JP08
    • By JP08 13th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    JP08
    Originally posted by casper_g
    I'd be a little concerned about a storage heater that externally got much hotter than that - 60C is roundabout the threshold of too painful to hold. Back in the days when I was an electronics student it was a good (and literal) rule of thumb - if you can't hold your thumb on a component it is probably running too hot ... most silicon components only being good for the low 100's before they die and should be running cooler than that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin