Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 11th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 1,116Posts
    • 657Thanks
    Jivesinger
    Windows Vista support ends in a month:11 April 2017
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    Windows Vista support ends in a month:11 April 2017 11th Mar 17 at 9:58 PM
    Just a heads-up for anyone using Windows Vista who wasn't aware already.

Vista goes out of support in a month's time, with 11 April 2017 being the last day of support.

(As when Windows XP went out of support, you could argue that a Vista machine is only any worse off in May 2017, because it probably wouldn't have had any patches before then in any case.)

Microsoft's take on it is here, although unsurprisingly they suggest Windows 10 is the answer:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/22882

Some people will decide to stick with Vista and take the risk, some will upgrade the machine or the OS, but whatever you do, for Vista users it's time to decide.
Page 1
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 12th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    I still shudder when I come accross Vista...possibly one of the worst OSes ever to exist!
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    I still shudder when I come accross Vista...possibly one of the worst OSes ever to exist!
    Originally posted by pmartin86
    I never really used it - when it first came out there were some horror stories with the first version of Vista, so I stuck with XP on my laptop with its 'free upgrade to Vista' offer.

Then I went straight from XP to Windows 8 and then Windows 10 so I skipped Vista and 7.

My understanding was that some of the initial Vista issues were due to 3rd party drivers though, and that some will defend Vista as being OK by the time it got to the last Service Pack.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 12th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,879 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    My understanding was that some of the initial Vista issues were due to 3rd party drivers though, and that some will defend Vista as being OK by the time it got to the last Service Pack.
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    A lot of the problems with Vista were because the specifications which Microsoft stated for PCs using Vista were not high enough. More powerful PCs did not have so many problems.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    I had a Vista laptop, after months of frustration at how slow it was I wiped it and put XP Pro on. Much better OS. I waited for win7 before buying anything else. IMO a £300+ laptop should be ok for home use even now. I am tech savvy, didn't clog it up with carp and yet still it took for ever to get things done.

I'd probably be able to do everything I do now on XP or Win7 if it wasn't for the security worries. Lets hope Win10 stays supported for a bit longer.
    • iPooday
    • By iPooday 13th Mar 17, 1:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iPooday
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:43 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:43 AM
    i won't use it any more!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 15th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    I have an old PC with it. Tried using it recently to make do until I found a new laptop, but it was just too slow. It only has 2GB RAM so that must have caught up with it in 2017 (was running fine when I last used it in 2010/2011.)

Never minded Vista as I wasn't an early adopter with the issues. Windows 8 was unbearable for me; had to help someone out with theirs and it made me angry.

10 is slightly annoying and I miss Movie Maker (no longer available for download as of 2 months ago and I got my new laptop last week.) The alternatives it seems put watermarks on videos unless you pay

Windows XP and 7 were the best IMO.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£57.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £80.21/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £1,000
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 16th Mar 17, 3:56 AM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:56 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 3:56 AM
    I have an old PC with it. Tried using it recently to make do until I found a new laptop, but it was just too slow. It only has 2GB RAM so that must have caught up with it in 2017 (was running fine when I last used it in 2010/2011.)

Never minded Vista as I wasn't an early adopter with the issues. Windows 8 was unbearable for me; had to help someone out with theirs and it made me angry.

10 is slightly annoying and I miss Movie Maker (no longer available for download as of 2 months ago and I got my new laptop last week.) The alternatives it seems put watermarks on videos unless you pay

Windows XP and 7 were the best IMO.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    You can run a clean install of Windows 7 to it. Will bring new life to it, so can be used as a back up well into the future and bring Movie Maker back to you. Download Windows Essentials 2012 (Offline installer) for installation later. What's the brand name and model number?
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    You can run a clean install of Windows 7 to it. Will bring new life to it, so can be used as a back up well into the future and bring Movie Maker back to you. Download Windows Essentials 2012 (Offline installer) for installation later. What's the brand name and model number?
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Old PC is a Dell Studio Hybrid. It's the only thing that will run Creata Card Gold 3, so now that I've got a new laptop for day to day use I'll probably leave Vista on it.

Thanks for the link; would I be able to install it on my new Windows 10 laptop? It has 4x the RAM of the Dell so it's my best option for video editing.
    EF #170 ~ £1,000
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    • robin58
    • By robin58 17th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    robin58
    I always remember a American radio programme talking about the time of the release of Windows 7.

He said a shop selling the Microsoft OS, there was 2 wired bins. One had the new system Windows 7, which was empty. The other basket had Vista in it, reduced to a near give away price and it was full. Said it all really.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 17th Mar 17, 2:15 AM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Old PC is a Dell Studio Hybrid. It's the only thing that will run Creata Card Gold 3, so now that I've got a new laptop for day to day use I'll probably leave Vista on it.

Thanks for the link; would I be able to install it on my new Windows 10 laptop? It has 4x the RAM of the Dell so it's my best option for video editing.
    Makes no sense to keep Vista on it unless you are going to throw it away. It costs nothing to upgrade to Windows 7.
    If it is the Dell Studio Hybrid 140G, the latest BIOS/firmware upgrade Ihere should contain the upgraded licence needed to install Windows 7 cleanly for free.
    Then you can decide as to whether to stick with Windows 7 or to upgrade again for free to Windows 10.

What's the Service Tag on it?

Can fit 4GB of RAM(if it doesn't already contain that much) example and add an SSD. Not that I would spend that much on a machine not in general use. But there is still life in that machine and those changes will transform it's performance.
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 17th Mar 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    To answer that bit - yes that link should allow you to install Movie Maker on Windows 10. I'd untick the options to install the other components of Windows Essentials though (unless you have a particular need for one). It isn't supported by Microsoft any more but I think it should still work.

I'd download the installer from the link and make sure you keep copies safe somewhere, in case Microsoft remove it at some point.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 17th Mar 17, 10:49 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    toshi
    SAVE VISTA COMPUTERS! Save £££ soluitons :)
    I am working as an IT professional and very concerned about software planned obsolescence. Thank you very much for taking this Vista issue.

Quick hardware improvement history.

CPU changed from single core to multi core (2005- 2007)
    Hard disk interfance changed from IDE/PATA to SATA (2006-2008)
    SSD revolution (started at 2008-9 but practically stable after 2013?)

The most of VISTA hardware uses dualcore muiticore CPU and SATA interface, they are modern powerful computers. In fact, some computers are sold both VISTA preinstalled and Windows7 preinstalled.

There is no reason to dump Windows Vista hardware in terms of hardware performance.

I have been working as a volunteer at a skill-share community workshop in London. I have managed to convert more than a couple of VISTA hardware to extend their life for another 3-5 years.

Cost effective solution for VISTA hardware life extension (3 to 5 years)

1) Replace a slow hard disk with a super-fast SSD

2) Install LinuxMint Mate 18 (support until 4.2021)
    https://linuxmint.com/download.php

You can keep your Windows Vista with dualboot setup You can select Windows Vista/LinuxMint when the computer starts. (I cannot command Vista for a long term, so I would expect you will move to LinuxMint gradually. but it would take some time to be familiar with any kind of new user interface)

Even I have offered a money back guarantee against my SSD solution- well this is a free of charge community event, simply I would refund the cost of SSD price. (Once I have given a refund to one lady, who asked me to buy a second hand windows7, instead of installing a SSD to her powerful Vista hardware.) All of other users are so impressed with SSD/LinuxMint solution. They agree that SSD/LinuxMint are faster and reliable than newer Windows 10 hard disk computers.

Please note I have no intention to play with OS sectarian wars. I would like to offer the very serious and practical solutions for Windows Vista users. If you have a copy of windows7/10 license, you can try to install Windows. If you want to spend long time for searching drivers by yourself. (I am tired with doing this kind of things for older hardware, LinuxMint installation will be completed in 20min with SSDs)

This is the serious cost saving environmentally friendly solution.

Remarks: Marketing manipulation OS confusion, Application is the KING

Partially because of media marketing manipulation, naive users think OS (Operation system) is their computing itself.

Just ask yourself, it is OK for you to use Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, VLC Player ? Then you are happy to use both Windows (Mac) and Linux environments.

If you really want to familiarise Linux, install multi platform applications as above to your Windows computers. Then you will find you are happy as long as you can use your application comfortably regardless of which OS they are using.

I am using both Windows 7 and LinuxMint, I need a Windows because I have to use Windows only applications such as Accounting software and Database packages for my business. But as far as I know, the majority of home users don't use Windows only application, especially now they use more cloud internet based applications. (Please note Windows 7 will be supported until 1. 2020)

I am amazed how people are so manipulated, less technical people simply want to use clean LinuxMint interface, as they interface is so Windows user friendly. By contract, more technical people are so struggling to coop with their new ever-changing Windows interface.

80 years Old couple are happy to use SSD/LINUXMINT, I was told "I just need to click a firefox icon, this is the same!" I have convinced the majority of people just want to use their computer comfortably.

Happy computing!

P.S. I have been helping to install a SSD onsite with anybody who want to keep using existing computers regularly at regular community skill-share events.This is a free skill-share workshop event. If anybody interest, please mail me directly. We are also looking for volunteers who want to make existing computer more comfortable. We have got a now secret weapon (?) SSD! just get a SSD, make yourself happy.
    Last edited by toshi; 17-03-2017 at 1:44 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • Mee
    • By Mee 17th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Mee
    I've been getting the alerts about support for Vista OS coming to an end but wasn't sure of the date.
    It came with a Dell laptop which although the screen is hanging off I'm loath to get rid of as it's handy for me having a built-in drive.
    Thanks for the info NiftyDigits, will check it out...
    You can click the Thanks button if you want

• NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 17th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I've been getting the alerts about support for Vista OS coming to an end but wasn't sure of the date.
    It came with a Dell laptop which although the screen is hanging off I'm loath to get rid of as it's handy for me having a built-in drive.
    Thanks for the info NiftyDigits, will check it out...
    Originally posted by Mee
    Yours will need a different solution. What's the Service Tag on it?
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 17th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10,161 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    NiftyDigits

Neglected to add that you'll be able to install both Windows XP and Windows 7 64 bit on the same machine, in order to deal with the Creata Gold 3 issue.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 17th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    Kim_13
    To answer that bit - yes that link should allow you to install Movie Maker on Windows 10. I'd untick the options to install the other components of Windows Essentials though (unless you have a particular need for one). It isn't supported by Microsoft any more but I think it should still work.

I'd download the installer from the link and make sure you keep copies safe somewhere, in case Microsoft remove it at some point.
    Originally posted by Jivesinger
    Thanks.

Have downloaded it and left the file in my downloads folder. Will also store it on an External HD and burn it to a disc.

It has installed fine.
    EF #170 ~ £1,000
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £10/£365
    • Jivesinger
    • By Jivesinger 21st Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Jivesinger
    Thanks.

Have downloaded it and left the file in my downloads folder. Will also store it on an External HD and burn it to a disc.

It has installed fine.
    This is good, because the Microsoft web page I knew of, which originally had the link, has now had the link removed.

I think NiftyDigits' link above still works but it is probably only a matter of time before that gets disabled too.
    • gazter
    • By gazter 25th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 898 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    gazter
    A lot of the problems with Vista were because the specifications which Microsoft stated for PCs using Vista were not high enough. More powerful PCs did not have so many problems.
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Shudder. Vista basic with 512mb of ram ( then take off video ram). A travesty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

636Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter