Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fender4
    • By Fender4 11th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 29Thanks
    Fender4
    Rental increase
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    Rental increase 11th Mar 17 at 10:52 PM
    Hi All.

I'm currently paying 650 per month for my rent and I'm on a 12 month fixed contract.
    The contract is due to expire in July and I'm wondering (anxious) as to how much my rent will increase by after the 12 months.

Is there a max percentage it can increase by when I am out of contract?
    Does anyone know how much they would normally increase it by?

Thanks
Page 1
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 11th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    juniordoc
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    Having lived in 6 different rented houses, I've never been asked to pay an automatic rent increase at the end of a fixed term, it's always just defaulted to a rolling periodic tenancy.
    Try not to worry too much about things that may never happen
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 42,280 Posts
    • 49,123 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:09 PM
    If you sign a new fixed term contract, the rent will be whatever you and the landlord negotiate and agree.

If you move to a periodic (monthly) contract, the rent can increase by whatever your current contract says. If your current contract says nothing, the rent will stay the same unless/until the landlord serves you a S13 Notice.

See

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

See also

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 12th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    • 4,910 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:14 AM
    If the tenancy agreement doesn't say anything in particular (read it) your LL can increase the rent once it expires. Look at equivalent rents for your area.

I'm afraid there is no limit legally..,otherwise, but if you are a good tenant, LL's will often not increase the rent or rent for below market rates. You can also try negotiating if the LL wants a rent increase, pointing out you are a tenant worth keeping.

Keep an eye on current rents in your area, but no point in panicking until it happens because it may not.
    • bilbodreams
    • By bilbodreams 12th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    bilbodreams
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    I agree with above post, it might not happen for a while, and unless your house is mega cheap to rent (compare it with other houses in the area) I wouldn't think the increase would be huge.

Also you can always negotiate with your landlord, after all it's better to have a happy/respectful/ long term tenant than having the costs of finding a new one
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 12th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 9,111 Posts
    • 12,080 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    Hi All.

I'm currently paying 650 per month for my rent and I'm on a 12 month fixed contract.
    The contract is due to expire in July and I'm wondering (anxious) as to how much my rent will increase by after the 12 months.

Is there a max percentage it can increase by when I am out of contract?
    Does anyone know how much they would normally increase it by?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Fender4
    What does YOUR tenancy for THAT property say about rent increases? If it does then that applies. (s13 notices don;t apply)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

3,581Users online

Martin's Twitter