Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alreeve27
    • By alreeve27 11th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 3Thanks
    alreeve27
    Existing energy supplier credit check?
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    Existing energy supplier credit check? 11th Mar 17 at 10:18 PM
    Hi, we're in the process of looking for a new house and our current electricity tariff is due to expire later this month. We have our decision in principle from around a month ago, but are yet to find anything suitable or have any offers on our current place. We aren't doing anything that could possible affect the mortgage (I assume the lender will do a credit check again when we actually arrange the mortgage?).

We did our research and found a good energy deal, but then saw that we would need a credit check, so we backed out. Our current supplier is Eon and they have another fixed tariff we could switch to, which would save money vs their variable rate, although is more expensive than the other supplier we had chosen. My question is will Eon carry out a credit check on us again as we are signing up to a new tariff (which is more expensive than when we joined them last year), even though we are existing customers? If so, would they still do the check if we just left it and went onto their variable rate? Alternatively are there suppliers who absolutely do not carry out these checks?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Chappaz
    • By Chappaz 11th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Chappaz
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    Call up and ask.
    • alreeve27
    • By alreeve27 11th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alreeve27
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    I tried that first but closed until Monday, so thought I'd ask here
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 12th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    If you will be moving house soon why bother? Just carry on as you are for the moment with e-on and wait until you move into your new home to change supplier.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    And then go to EDF. They don't smack you with a credit check at all.
    • alreeve27
    • By alreeve27 12th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    alreeve27
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    Thanks that's good to know about EDF. Re moving house, our tariff ends next week, and we have no offers on our property yet, nor have we seen found anything ourselves. It could be many months until anything happens, hence why I wanted to lock in a new tariff
    • sargeantsalt
    • By sargeantsalt 12th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sargeantsalt
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    @Gbob. How do you know EDF don't use CRAs? I checked their T&C and it says they can? It may be that small print is just there in case a customer turns bad so I'd like to know what they do in practice.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    @Gbob. How do you know EDF don't use CRAs? I checked their T&C and it says they can? It may be that small print is just there in case a customer turns bad so I'd like to know what they do in practice.
    Originally posted by sargeantsalt

Yes, I have seen that in the T&Cs. It's always been in. I guess it's there to cover all eventualities. When I first signed up with EDF a few years ago I explicitly asked them about credit checking and they said they didn't do it. Also, the T&Cs appear to be a version of an industry standard, but crucially for the EDF T&Cs no mention is made of which CRAs they use. One might assume from this, therefore, that although they reserve the right to interact with the CRAs, they don't actually do so.
    • MHOWARD
    • By MHOWARD 12th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    MHOWARD
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:30 PM
    Originally posted by sargeantsalt
    EDF do not credit check or report to CRA's my friend works for them and told me. Even if they take court action to install prepayment meters they still do not report to CRA's.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 12th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    EDF do not credit check or report to CRA's my friend works for them and told me. Even if they take court action to install prepayment meters they still do not report to CRA's.
    Originally posted by MHOWARD

Thanks for confirming this. On this basis alone they should be everyone's supplier of choice.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Credit Checks
    Hi, we're in the process of looking for a new house and our current electricity tariff is due to expire later this month. We have our decision in principle from around a month ago, but are yet to find anything suitable or have any offers on our current place. We aren't doing anything that could possible affect the mortgage (I assume the lender will do a credit check again when we actually arrange the mortgage?).

We did our research and found a good energy deal, but then saw that we would need a credit check, so we backed out. Our current supplier is Eon and they have another fixed tariff we could switch to, which would save money vs their variable rate, although is more expensive than the other supplier we had chosen. My question is will Eon carry out a credit check on us again as we are signing up to a new tariff (which is more expensive than when we joined them last year), even though we are existing customers? If so, would they still do the check if we just left it and went onto their variable rate? Alternatively are there suppliers who absolutely do not carry out these checks?

Thanks
    Originally posted by alreeve27
    Hello alreeve27 and to confirm, we carry out a credit check when customers look to move to a new fixed term product when an existing contract comes to an end. This doesn't happen when automatically going on to our standard variable tariff.

We also share payment information with the Credit Reference Agency, Equifax. Each month, we give them a true reflection of the status of an account at the time of the share. As well as sharing details of accounts in debt, we also give positive reports where accounts are paid promptly.

Hope this answers your question alreeve27.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 14th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Hello alreeve27 and to confirm, we carry out a credit check when customers look to move to a new fixed term product when an existing contract comes to an end. This doesn't happen when automatically going on to our standard variable tariff.

We also share payment information with the Credit Reference Agency, Equifax. Each month, we give them a true reflection of the status of an account at the time of the share. As well as sharing details of accounts in debt, we also give positive reports where accounts are paid promptly.

Hope this answers your question alreeve27.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc

Quite how companies are allowed to get away with this outrage is beyond me. Basically they are saying, we may not let you go on the best tariff, and whatever, we'll mug you with a hard credit check just to rub your nose in it. Unbelievable!

Don't do business with companies like this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

2,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin