Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DocTim
    • By DocTim 11th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DocTim
    Conveyancing
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    Conveyancing 11th Mar 17 at 10:06 PM
    I'm looking for a conveyancing firm for a house sale/buy. The estate agent has recommended an expensive one (they get commission). I've found one a lot cheaper - DC Law. Does anyone have any experience of this firm? Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one that will do a good job and cover England and Wales?
    Thanks

Tim
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 40,171 Posts
    • 45,884 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:18 PM
    Find one yourself locally.

One who you trust and find approachable when you visit for a quote.

Go to 3 local solicitors and chances are one of them will a) be a resonable quote and b) inspire your confidence
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    • 9,177 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:34 AM
    Also check they are on your lenders' panel. If not, you'll need another for the financials - or another altogether.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies)
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 12th Mar 17, 5:06 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 3,120 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:06 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 5:06 AM
    Very useful to be able to visit - there's always one piece of paper they need, or one extra signature, at the last minute!

I'd also recommend avoiding online conveyancing firms. You never deal with the same person twice, can't often speak to anyone on the phone, and they are often slow so can be to blame for holding things up.

The one time my husband used online conveyancing the service was poor and we never did again. It's genuinely not worth the couple of hundred quid saving!
    • Lemonsqueezer78
    • By Lemonsqueezer78 12th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Lemonsqueezer78
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    I used DC Law a few yeas ago to buy my first flat. At the time, whilst they are a "volume" firm (read that as "call centre") I was given a named person to deal with, so it wasn't too bad. My recollection is that they were pretty quick and efficient, easy to get hold of and easy enough to deal with. This was a few years back though so a lot could have changed in that time.

Its like anything, you do get what you pay for sometimes. That said, these days, most basic conveyancing transactions should be possible (and faster) carried out via email, with documents being emailed across, printed/completed and emailed back. There are typically only a couple of documents where originals need to be sent via snail-mail - and that is where some of these call centre firms can actually be better in my view.

I've had to deal with solicitors in the past that absolutely insist in doing everything through snail mail - or even asking you to come by to sign things in person - which really isn't needed in most cases. For my last sale/purchase I specifically selected a solicitor that preferred to get stuff done via email.
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 12th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    I would avoid conveyancing farms/call centres, unless you are in no rush to complete and have time on your hands to constantly push them to progress.

Have you tried asking friends or family for recommendations?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,617Posts Today

5,269Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin