Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4,942Posts
    • 19,568Thanks
    FatVonD
    Guarantee
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:59 PM
    Guarantee 11th Mar 17 at 9:59 PM
    I sold a brand new small electrical item stating in the description that it had been removed from the box for photographic purposes and then put back in.

The buyer has messaged me to say that the box appears to have been opened and taped up again (I pointed him to the description.)

I also forgot to put the instructions in which I am forwarding.

What is more worrying is that he's asking how he can register for his two year guarantee with no 'paperwork'. I didn't say there was a two year guarantee though it is printed on the box. I imagine to get the guarantee you would have to have proof of purchase from the supermarket from which it came.

I can't supply this as I am a private seller just getting rid of something I acquired but have no need for (sold at half the retail price plus postage.)

Where do I stand, please? He hasn't asked for a refund (yet) and the item is as described. (And I definitely didn't mention a two year guarantee.)
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 30,273 Posts
    • 19,151 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:18 PM
    Sounds like he didn't read the description.

Could be wrong but I dont think these guaratees are transferable, in any case you cant provide the POP, you got it as a gift. Dont see what he could moan about, you will be fine IMO.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 11th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    You may be in the right, but eBay normally takes the buyers side. If they open a case if you do not accept the refund you risk being forced to refund and then trying to get your item back.

They may be able to register the serial number if you haven't. It depends if they want proof of purchase or not.
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 11th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    What you will probably get next is a case and the buyer wanting a partial refund.
    It amazing how many people want stuff all much cheaper on ebay & still insist on T&C's from a shop!

Anything electrical now I am selling. If it's 2nd hand and within warranty. I place in the advert still in warranty period, but any warranty is under the manufacturer T&C's, not via me.

Some manufacturers you can get away with it registering it online as a gift. However hardly any will accept it transferable to another person.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 12th Mar 17, 1:33 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 19,568 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:33 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:33 AM
    What you will probably get next is a case and the buyer wanting a partial refund.
    It amazing how many people want stuff all much cheaper on ebay & still insist on T&C's from a shop!.
    Originally posted by Nesty
    Yep, I'm trying to think of a polite way to word that to him should he press the point!

Thank you all for your help
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 2:34 AM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:34 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:34 AM
    Just reply with sorry if your not happy with the item, please return it for a full refund.
    I would probably put i had several offers for the item after the auction closed so will have no issues reselling it and for more than you have paid so we both win, you get a refund on an item your not happy with and i get to resell it for more money.

Thank you. Please let me know when you have dispatched the item and the cost. Thanks.

Maybe slightly naughtyLet them pay for the postage, by taking an interest in the postage cost they may (wrongly) assume your going to refund them that.

As long as your not a business and they are in the wrong.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 12th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    EBAY now are gradually turning buyers preception into that ebay is mail order. Order from ebay and you get all he T&C's and better ones from a shop.

Sometimes with some buyers you just have to plainly put it to them to sent back for refund.

I had a buyer myself recently, so not satisfied about a transaction. He wasn't then that dis-satified that he wanted to send the item back when I told him keep the item or return it for refund!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

308Posts Today

3,786Users online

Martin's Twitter