Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack_1992
    • By jack_1992 11th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 42Thanks
    jack_1992
    Pay as go meter left with debt
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    Pay as go meter left with debt 11th Mar 17 at 9:47 PM
    Evening

We have gone to our new house tonight and currently had a pay as go meter. When we went to turn lights on, there's no money left on the meter but a debt.
    So obviously to get power we will need to pay the debt off he can we claim that back?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 11th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 16,949 Posts
    • 25,851 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:38 PM
    No you won't have to pay the debt. You contact the company and inform them of the date you took over the property. You will then get a payment card/key in your own name and start from scratch.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • archived user
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    The debt on the meter could just be standing charges which have built up between tenants, that is shown on the first screens. The landlord was liable for the weekly standing charges up to the day he relet the property but as usual they try to get someone else to pay that. True debts on prepayment meters are on screens S and T on the electric prepayment meter and screen 26 on the gas meter. A new account with the company should clear all the outstanding debts when they send you a new card/key
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,783Posts Today

6,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin