Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 11th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    forestfanstill
    Help setting up CCTV to home network
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    Help setting up CCTV to home network 11th Mar 17 at 9:34 PM
    Hi, We have purchased a 8 camera CCTV kit with DVR of 1TB and wish to connect it to the home network using a spare desktop computer as a server so we can view the cctv on our laptops etc. is this possible and how could we do this?
Page 2
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 14th Mar 17, 11:34 PM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I just took a look at my H246 DVR,

I have 2 720p cameras recording 24x7 at 2290Kbps 12fps + 2 more 720p on motion detect only + 1 lower res camera on motion detect.

The recodings show as starting at ~13:00 on 24th Feb til now ~ 23:00 on 14 March

I think you are either misinterpreting what your disk is holding or you have something wrong in the settings. A 1TB drive should be good for at least a week with 4 720p cameras recording 24x7 and longer if you set the bitrate or framerate lower than mine.

If you want to monitor a parked car you need it 24x7. I have mine split into 15 min chunkx so you can skip through files looking for the one where some change took place. If there is no noticeable change then you are pretty much scuppered without a very good time estimate.

Here is a clip from my earlier lo-res camera from when a bag was stolen from a neighbours car. It took me an absolute age to find because I only had a rough time and there was no obvious scene change. They put the video on Facebook and the culprit was recognised by several people despite the poor quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXU9Bj_MVPQ

My new setup is a lot better although this clip demos a fault...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hDSjwTtO3c
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 14-03-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    • were
    • By were 15th Mar 17, 12:30 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    kwikbreaks, that new camera is quite clear. On the black car there seems to be a reflaction around the front lights, is that due to a pain of glass?
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 15th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 8,826 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I think you are talking about the fault I put the clip up to demonstrate. If you check the first 10 seconds all should be pretty clear then a ghosting effect appears. It is more obvious on the verticals such as road signs. It was caused by water getting into the coax joint.

It's my intention to add a page about my CCTV upgrade to the other CCTV related pages on one of my websites but I just haven't got around to doing it. Now I've retired I have far less time to do such things than when I was working.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 25,459 Posts
    • 10,099 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    full time recording do not have details in file, they are 500mb for 2.5 hours.
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    How big is the hard drive? 40GB or something ancient?

500mb for 2.5 hours = 200mb per hour.

200mb x 24 hours = 4.8 Gb Lets round it up to 5GB to allow for some bitrate changes as you get more movement.

5GB per day = 35GB a week so even a lowly 40GB drive will be fine for one camera for an entire week.

Stick a 500GB drive in there and you have 3 months+ worth of space for a single camera.

4x cameras on a 500 GB drive = approx 25 days or 50 days for a 1TB drive etc.

Why cant you record 24/7? What storage are you using? a 4Gb memory card?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 15th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    forestfanstill
    the HD is 2TB has extra fan for cooling, extra ram etc as was used as gaming pc, maplins added high spec stuff for me as manager is neighbour. unfortunately he has had a stroke and is unable to assist with such issues anymore or would not need to justify self on here.

Our local PCSO has been a number of times as have CID to check our CCTV footage to help them with various incidents. all have agreed our system is legal and is targeted at our own property boundary with incidental footage of public property being acceptable given it is impossible to watch a fence-line for intruders without seeing part of the other side of the fence.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 15th Mar 17, 11:37 PM
    • 25,459 Posts
    • 10,099 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    A gaming PC wont be ideal for a CCTV setup, its going to run hotter than ideal and going to be costly to run.

A DVR is 100% the way to go. It does everything you have mentioned and will use about 8 - 14 watts where a gaming PC will be using over 100 watts and run much hotter.

You dont need a ton of RAM for a CCTV system also.

Sell the PC and buy a DVR.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,663Users online

Martin's Twitter