Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 11th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    forestfanstill
    Help setting up CCTV to home network
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    Help setting up CCTV to home network 11th Mar 17 at 9:34 PM
    Hi, We have purchased a 8 camera CCTV kit with DVR of 1TB and wish to connect it to the home network using a spare desktop computer as a server so we can view the cctv on our laptops etc. is this possible and how could we do this?
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11,317 Posts
    • 6,286 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    Depends on the DVR and what sort of output stream it uses.

If it's RTSP, then you can use VLC media player and record the stream with a bit of faffing.

If not RTSP, then you may be able to use Contacam. This is really good, because Contacam has detection mode and can be set up to give you a webpage showing detections that you can access from anywhere in the world if you have a domain name or static IP address for you network.

Another option is to use FTP menu to send recorded files over network to an FTP server.
    Last edited by Strider590; 11-03-2017 at 9:47 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 11th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    forestfanstill
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013SL9WGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Specification
    * New Progressive 1/4" color CMOS image sensor
    * Video resolution: 1280*720p
    * Lens: 3.6MM
    * Build-in IR-cut filter, color on day, auto switch to B&W at night
    * 24pcs high quality LEDs up to 20M night vision
    * Weatherproof: IP66, indoor & outdoor

* Video compression: H.264 to save storage space
    * Encode capacity / Decode capacity: 8*1080N@12FPS / 4*1080N@12FPS
    * Video input / output: 8CH BNC / 1CH VGA, 1CH HDMI
    * Audio input / output: 4CH RCA / 1CH RCA
    * Playback: 4CH
    * Interface: RJ45 10/100M for Network, 1*RS485 for PTZ control, 2* USB 2.0
    * Wireless: 3G, WIFI (extendvia USB)
    * HDD: 1*SATA port up to 6TB capacity
    Hope the specs help clear up things.
    Last edited by forestfanstill; 11-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    • were
    • By were 11th Mar 17, 11:07 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    were
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:07 PM
    I have used iSpy and it was fantastic software. Movement and/or sound triggering too, and movement zoning, but you have to leave the PC on 24/7. Think it did mail too?
    https://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=Annke
    https://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx

You have seen this for your amazon link? "Get set up quickly and easily: You could scan the QR code via mobile device using our free Annke View app (available on iOS/Android). Say bye-bye to traditional, complex setup processes that require you to have a degree in networking. It can be quickly and easily setup by anyone. Instantly see live video using your computer, tablet, or phone from anywhere. "
    Last edited by were; 11-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 11th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    forestfanstill
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    We are putting the cameras around the outside of the house. Police have used the 4 cameras we have to catch 4 criminals this year alone and adding 8 new cameras to cover blind spots in addition to ones already installed but making them available via a personal server on the desktop that can be used as dedicated server for the cameras would also help the police. we have a school crossing outside out house and the "lollypop" lady was almost run over by a car that failed to stop overtaking the ones that had and he also just missed hitting three kids and parents who were being ushered across. when police want coverage it normally needs downloading from the dvr but if they could view via web address would be better for us and also better for them too. plus if able to block access to it for public but have say user name and PW all who need access could have it but others would be blocked

also would that mean they would be able to search date and time for incidents?
    • were
    • By were 12th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    were
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    720P - camera with good closeup resolution over distance and a wide angle too?

My camera is 2mp full HD, nice video, but always the wrong lense: either I want wide angle or to zoom into something narrow

To be honest there is software out there to convert mobiles into web cams. Many mobiles have cameras that have a higher resolution than the security ones, but unsure if wifi can handle the high bandwidth throughput, and you probably have one lying around at home?

After faffing around, my cam is now internal, focused on the front door with movement sensor covering the letter box

iSpy also has an anpr module but costs. Sound good as gate security, but bet that one would only need an A4 sheet with you reg no printed in large text to gain entrance Should be able to capture the reg of passing cars though?
    Last edited by were; 12-03-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    we have a school crossing outside out house and the "lollypop" lady was almost run over by a car that failed to stop overtaking the ones that had and he also just missed hitting three kids and parents who were being ushered across.
    Originally posted by forestfanstill
    You need to be a bit careful about this. Whilst 'accidentally' filming somebody walking past might be ok, actively filming a public location, particularly where children are involved, could have legal implications, not least around the Data Protection Act.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    Didn't the DVR come with software. It looks like a pretty generic Chinese one and the two I've had botht came with an excellent Windows program called CMS which you could use to set it up and download saved videos plus an Android app which allows real time viewing (in fact the app store has loads of these and you can check which work best for you). There should be no need to run a PC 24x7 to support your CCTV.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    spud17
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    Agree with kwikbreaks
    I set up a Swann 1080 8x camera system, the hd box was connected to the router and assigned a static address.
    To view the cctv on the local network all you had to do was use the static address and your usual browser.
    No software was needed.
    I found that it was best to use a 32bit browser.
    For first use, depending on browser, the box would offer either an add-on (Firefox etc) or an Activex component (Internet Explorer).
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You dont need a Separate PC for a server. Plug the recorder into your network and access from ANY PC thats on your network.

Or any device that you give permission to access your network.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 12th Mar 17, 10:43 PM
    • 11,317 Posts
    • 6,286 Thanks
    Strider590
    You need to be a bit careful about this. Whilst 'accidentally' filming somebody walking past might be ok, actively filming a public location, particularly where children are involved, could have legal implications, not least around the Data Protection Act.
    Originally posted by chrisw

DPA doesn't apply to domestic CCTV.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/31/householders-cctv-public-highway-film

The DPA contains an exemption for domestic use, however, so a householder who has a camera on their property for their own personal use would not be covered by the DPA even if the camera overlooks the street or other public areas near their home. This exemption also applies to recreational use, eg by using a mobile phone or camcorder.
    Where you can get into trouble is filming other peoples properties.
    As I understand it, the CCTV should not be filming a neighbours property unless it's unavoidable.
    Last edited by Strider590; 12-03-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • were
    • By were 13th Mar 17, 12:33 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    were
    forrestfanstill, seen this and thought of you. only 1mp but £17 + postage???
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/digoo-bb-m2-mini-wifi-ip-camera-16-73-banggood-2631550
    • forestfanstill
    • By forestfanstill 14th Mar 17, 12:39 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    forestfanstill
    Our driveway is where the crossing is and as we are a corner house having the cameras cover our driveway and cars naturally covers that anyway it is not that we are actively recording them. once a car skidded due to not seeing the crossing and went into the back of our car pushing it into the porch and house insurance would not pay and driver who crashed was not insured so we lost out
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I was looking at a standalone camera of a friend, was a Swann, a pile of junk mostly but I was able to get to back end, it had FTP, Email etc but my concern was that it was being set off all the time by cars or lights.

On motion detect it generated 4mb files but they wanted to have it on 24/7 without a PC or DVR, it generated 8gb or 9gb in videos while I was testing. Even if I could find online storage the upload speed of ADSL would be an issue.

I thought these things used compression

I did look at iSpy and a few other solutions

I loved this plugin for iSpy

http://www.iplugs.eu/pl_playonce.html
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    If its half decent it should compress to H264 which is quite good, unless your trying to compress 4k or better video or have 16 camera's.

A cheap DVR with a 1TB+ drive works well. I picked up a cheap 16 camera one a while back. Looked similar to the ones Maplins sell, but for a fraction of the price. UK seller also, local one so i picked it up.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    it is H264 but i think there are still some settings, but sort of defeats the objrct if te quality is too poor as will not be able to ID them.

Is it normal for car headlights to set off at night?

I tried reducing sensitivity but then it would not pick up people walking across the zone.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 7,320 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    That was in 2010. The law has since been clarified by the European Court and the ICO has revised its guidance

If your camera covers, even partially, any areas beyond the boundaries of your property, such as neighbouring gardens or the street, then it will no longer be exempt from the Data Protection Act (DPA) under the domestic purposes exemption. This does not mean that you are breaching the DPA but it does mean that you might need to take some steps to comply with it.
    https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv/
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Mar 17, 8:27 PM
    • 25,311 Posts
    • 10,048 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Headlights will be detected as a change in the image so yes they can be triggered as movement.
    What you should be able to do is set certain areas of the image to be removed from the detection zones.

Mine gives a 12 x 12 grid and you can select which ones activate the movement.

Is it not recording 24/7? It could be saving the video twice, one as the main recording and another for movement.

Whats the bitrate for the files? Are they actually H264?

• EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Headlights will be detected as a change in the image so yes they can be triggered as movement.
    What you should be able to do is set certain areas of the image to be removed from the detection zones.

Mine gives a 12 x 12 grid and you can select which ones activate the movement.

Is it not recording 24/7? It could be saving the video twice, one as the main recording and another for movement.

Whats the bitrate for the files? Are they actually H264?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Yep has a grid but lights seem to set it off before they even get close

24/7 is not going to be an option because it uses too much space

This was from an alert, 19 sec video taking 4mb

• EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    EdwardB
    full time recording do not have details in file, they are 500mb for 2.5 hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,738Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin