Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 11th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,084Posts
    • 719Thanks
    ellie27
    Planning permission/quotes/struct. engineer - order of whole process?
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    Planning permission/quotes/struct. engineer - order of whole process? 11th Mar 17 at 9:24 PM
    We are looking to make some alterations to our house, not an extension.

We are in a conservation area so will need planning permission.

What we want to have done - removal of couple internal walls, addition of sliding doors at back of house, installation of 2 more velux roof lights (already 1 in place)

I was thinking planning permission first, but we wouldnt know exactly how big doors we are wanting put in..... so guess sizes/styles of windows/doors have to be decided first so that the dimensions can be put on the planning application?

Should we speak to structural engineer first too about removal of walls

Any advice welcome thanks!
Page 1
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 12th Mar 17, 4:45 AM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:45 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 4:45 AM
    Yes your planning permission will probably state on it that the windows/doors etc will need to match the drawings submitted exactly.

You can probably find a structural engineer who can design, or an architect bod who can do the calculations. Have you any neighbours who've had similar work done? If you search your local councils website you should find planning applications. Have a look and you'll find the contact details of the designers on the paperwork. Then knock on the homeowner's doors and check whether they would recommend them (or not!)
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    Yes your planning permission will probably state on it that the windows/doors etc will need to match the drawings submitted exactly.

You can probably find a structural engineer who can design, or an architect bod who can do the calculations. Have you any neighbours who've had similar work done? If you search your local councils website you should find planning applications. Have a look and you'll find the contact details of the designers on the paperwork. Then knock on the homeowner's doors and check whether they would recommend them (or not!)
    Originally posted by Hoploz

Just unsure what comes first?

Do we need to choose our type and style and size of doors first, so that we know what to put on the plans?

I was planning on doing the drawings for planning permission.

Everyone has extensions around here, its just because its a conservation area that planning permission is needed.

Do structural engineers need to do calculations etc first before planning permission? Or is that separate?

Thanks
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    You should do the planning first which will involve the details of the doors. If you aren't sure about the technical challenges then you need to engage someone that can advise on any potential restrictions for lintels etc, you should also include the additional velux windows in these drawings.
    Planning drawings are fairly simple to assemble but there's no point in getting planning for something not technically possible - if you know a builder they might be able to advise on the technical aspects before you do the drawings...
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    You should do the planning first which will involve the details of the doors. If you aren't sure about the technical challenges then you need to engage someone that can advise on any potential restrictions for lintels etc, you should also include the additional velux windows in these drawings.
    Planning drawings are fairly simple to assemble but there's no point in getting planning for something not technically possible - if you know a builder they might be able to advise on the technical aspects before you do the drawings...
    Originally posted by the_r_sole

Thanks!

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Need to find out if it is actually possible to remove the walls and put on doors etc

The drawings do not have to show where beams/lintels will be, do they? Drawings for planning permission just to show exterior changes really? But of course an existing floor plan and proposed floor plan would indicate the removal of walls, but no need to indicate on the plans what beams/lintels are going in?

When does building control/warrants come into it?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ellie27; 13-03-2017 at 9:58 AM. Reason: .
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    Thanks!

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Need to find out if it is actually possible to remove the walls and put on doors etc

The drawings do not have to show where beams/lintels will be, do they? Drawings for planning permission just to show exterior changes really? But of course an existing floor plan and proposed floor plan would indicate the removal of walls, but no need to indicate on the plans what beams/lintels are going in?

When does building control/warrants come into it?
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by ellie27
    for planning you don't need that level of technical information, if you are in scotland you need a building warrant which contains all the technical stuff (and in england you can either get building regulation approval prior to construction or you can operate on a notice - however there is inherent risk in that way if you get a dodgy builder)
    You would normally wait for planning approval before submitting a warrant/building regs application - although with a simple proposal like this you could submit both applications at the same time.
    Are you in scotland? If so it's not going to be a huge saving to do the planning drawings yourself if you then have to pay someone to do the warrant application
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:46 PM
    for planning you don't need that level of technical information, if you are in scotland you need a building warrant which contains all the technical stuff (and in england you can either get building regulation approval prior to construction or you can operate on a notice - however there is inherent risk in that way if you get a dodgy builder)
    You would normally wait for planning approval before submitting a warrant/building regs application - although with a simple proposal like this you could submit both applications at the same time.
    Are you in scotland? If so it's not going to be a huge saving to do the planning drawings yourself if you then have to pay someone to do the warrant application
    Yes, I am in Scotland and did think I would save some cash by doing drawings myself. .... had a look on the authority website and many houses floor plans are already there and their house is identical to mine!

What would you recommend then?
    Thanks!
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 13th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    Yes, I am in Scotland and did think I would save some cash by doing drawings myself. .... had a look on the authority website and many houses floor plans are already there and their house is identical to mine!

What would you recommend then?
    Thanks!
    Well you are likely going to have to pay someone to prepare a building warrant submission, that will involve a survey of the building/production of existing plans and then adding all the technical information to that - it's unlikely (but not impossible) that you will find a structural engineer who will take on the responsibility of acting as the agent for the warrant application.
    So most of your drawings will be replaced as you go along, it might be just as cheap to get someone to do the drawings/survey etc at the outset rather than doing it yourself then paying someone to redo it.
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    ellie27
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    Well you are likely going to have to pay someone to prepare a building warrant submission, that will involve a survey of the building/production of existing plans and then adding all the technical information to that - it's unlikely (but not impossible) that you will find a structural engineer who will take on the responsibility of acting as the agent for the warrant application.
    So most of your drawings will be replaced as you go along, it might be just as cheap to get someone to do the drawings/survey etc at the outset rather than doing it yourself then paying someone to redo it.
    Who, which type of person, would be able to do these drawings from the start? Who can do the warrant application?

Is it an architect I need? Or just a builder?
    We had a couple architects in but then I did get the impression, from them and others, that since we were not actually extending and all that was involved was removal of couple walls, addition of rooflights, then it was not necessary to get an architect.

If we pay someone to do the warrant application drawings then can they then be pretty much used for the planning application drawings?
    Many thanks!
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 14th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    Who, which type of person, would be able to do these drawings from the start? Who can do the warrant application?

Is it an architect I need? Or just a builder?
    We had a couple architects in but then I did get the impression, from them and others, that since we were not actually extending and all that was involved was removal of couple walls, addition of rooflights, then it was not necessary to get an architect.

If we pay someone to do the warrant application drawings then can they then be pretty much used for the planning application drawings?
    Many thanks!
    Some builders might do the drawings (although not sure sure I would always trust they are up to date with regs)
    You could use an architect, an architectural technologist, a technician, a surveyor etc. look at your local authority planning website and see who is working locally on small jobs like this.
    With some small jobs you can use the same drawings for both, or strip out information for a planning application
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter