Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 11th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 14Thanks
    elephantrosie
    Educate me on ISA please
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    Educate me on ISA please 11th Mar 17 at 8:15 PM
    I have used up my ISA quote for this calendar year (up to 5th April 2017) in cash ISA account.

Could I transfer money from cash ISA account to Help To Buy ISA before the next calendar year starts?

I am thinking of doing this because cash ISA account has very low interest rates. I would rather put the money in help to buy ISA.
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 11th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 5,926 Thanks
    masonic
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:22 PM
    You are aware of the contribution limits for the HTB ISA, yes?

Option 1: Transfer your cash ISA to a split ISA provider like Nationwide, who would allow you to hold a cash ISA and HTB ISA effectively as one ISA account. You could then transfer the maximum amount allowed from one to the other each month.

Option 2: Withdraw all of the money paid into your cash ISA in this tax year, then you are free to open and contribute to a HTB ISA anywhere you like.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 9,757 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    Or option 3. Use HTB ISA for maximum possible amount and use regular savers and current accounts for further savings to get the best interest rates
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    badger09
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    Or option 3. Use HTB ISA for maximum possible amount and use regular savers and current accounts for further savings to get the best interest rates
    Originally posted by jimjames
    But not before 6th April
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 14th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    hi all, thanks for the replies.
    unfortunately, i may have not worded my question well because i am not getting answers to it.

Could I transfer money from cash ISA account to Help To Buy ISA before the next calendar year starts?

i have used up my limit for this year. i wonder if i could withdraw some money from my cash isa account and put it in h2b isa?

say i withdraw 200 pounds and put in h2b isa before the next calendar year start?
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 14th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    isasmurf
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    The answer to your question is on the Help to buy site.
    I already have a cash ISA – can I open a Help to Buy: ISA too?
    If you have paid into a cash ISA this tax year, in order to open a Help to Buy: ISA, you will have to transfer your active cash ISA to a Help to Buy: ISA. You can transfer up to £1,200 of your active cash ISA balance into your Help to Buy: ISA.

Anything more than this should be moved into either a stocks and shares ISA, an Innovative Finance ISA, or a non-ISA account. However, the total amount saved must not exceed the annual subscription limit for ISAs.

Alternatively, some ISA managers offer portfolio ISAs which allow you to hold multiple ISA products within a cash ISA wrapper. You can still only subscribe to one cash ISA but it can be made up of one or more cash ISA products, including a Help to Buy: ISA. The standard cash ISA and Help to Buy: ISA allowance limits will still apply.

Savers are recommended to speak to ISA managers to discuss the options they have.

- See more at: https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/faq/#sthash.DnjI3Jac.dpuf
    Last edited by isasmurf; 14-03-2017 at 9:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,425Posts Today

9,091Users online

Martin's Twitter