Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea
    • By First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea 11th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea
    Likely cost of removing Structural Chimney breast and wall?
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    Likely cost of removing Structural Chimney breast and wall? 11th Mar 17 at 8:59 PM
    Q to builders and structural engineer types on anyone who has done similar.

We are looking to buy a house with a slightly unusual layout. It's a 1950s ex council and dividing the lounge and dining room is a Chimney breast plus structural wall. It's open at both ends so you can walk between the rooms. The chimney is basically slap bang in the middle of the house and still functional. We were wondering potential ballpark costs to remove this and put in place some other form of steel support. Doing so would open up the room.

Approx width of the room is 5.8M but wall to wall inc under stairs probably about 7.5M

Layout a bit like:

-------------------------------
    |
    | .......Dining |
    |
    | gap --Chim+wall- gap-|
    | |
    | .......Lounge........................ |Stairs
    |
    |
    |
    |---------------------- FDoor|

As a new user I can post with links

Simon
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 7,736 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    You will need Calculations from a Structural Engineer (£400) as well as building regulations (£200). Anything between £3000 and £6000. Remember its not just the chimney. Its new ceilings, flooring etc.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea
    • By First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea 12th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    Thanks Phill99, I wasn't sure what route they would go down, removal of whole chimney stack or just removal of the ground floor and blocking up/supporting steels.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 12th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 81,475 Thanks
    missprice
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    Thanks Phill99, I wasn't sure what route they would go down, removal of whole chimney stack or just removal of the ground floor and blocking up/supporting steels.
    Originally posted by First_Time_Buyer_No_Idea

If you can afford it, take out the whole thing upstairs and downstairs. I had a downstairs chimney removed in the kitchen and so wish we had done upstairs too. It's not even very big upstairs but it irks me everytime i see it.

Yet to remove the other chimney and stack in other side of house. So much mess.
    94 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

918Posts Today

6,753Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: Is your vote already locked in? Have you decided who you will vote for in the General Election?

• RT @gabyhinsliff: When you're so desperate for Frexit to shore up Brexit that you're kind of relaxed about fascism https://t.co/yLmdqNHeHu

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first for "five ways to put £100s in your pocket" then an open (what I call brown trouser) phone in!

• Follow Martin