Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • depressedandindebt84
    • By depressedandindebt84 11th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    depressedandindebt84
    Urgent help needed re Restons Solicitors
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    Urgent help needed re Restons Solicitors 11th Mar 17 at 8:33 PM
    I have a old Littlewoods catalogue debt which I was slowly paying off. I then became unemployed, suffered mental health issues and buried my head in the sand.

A few months back I received forms from the local county court advising bailiffs were to visit regarding the debt. I called Restons Solicitors who own the debt and came to an agreement of £40 a month. I made several payments in full and on time.

Meanwhile I moved house and had to renew my car insurance. Car insurance has gone up. Electricity and gas has gone up. Petrol costs have gone up as I live on rural area and have a number of doctors appointments due to mental health, hospital appointments due to current pregnancy. I also added in £15 a month for car maintenance as I hadn't allowed anything for this then had to get brake pads done which screwed things up.

Did new income and expenditure and sent to Restons. They didn't reply. Next payment was due and I got in a panic. I had already informed them of mental health issues and wanted everything dealt with in writing but due to no response from them had to call up and go through everything on the phone.

When I initially set up the £40 a month agreement they let me include just my personal income and my half of the bills. Now they are saying I have to include my partners income so they can take it in to account. It isn't my partners debt and predates our relationship. They also want to see bank statements and proof of all outgoings. Is it right that I have to provide this?

Please help. This is causing me so much stress. Even taking into account my partners income (and I don't see why I should) I still can't afford the repayments but I'm so worried they will refuse to accept it again and what will happen next.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 10,543 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    Hi,

Has court action already been taken with regard to this debt ?

From your post, that's what I am assuming ?

Did the court set an amount to pay ?

Just sit back, take a breath, they can't take what you don't have, do not be bullied into paying more than you can afford.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • depressedandindebt84
    • By depressedandindebt84 11th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    depressedandindebt84
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    I have no idea what is going on with regards court action. As I say I massively buried my head in the sand, didn't open letters then the next thing I know I get a bailiff warrant letter from the county court. This was suspended by Restons when I agreed to pay the £40 a month.

I'm so scared I'm going to get bailiffs turn up at the door. My mental health has completely gone to pot, I'm pregnant and I really can't cope with this =(
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 10,543 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    Right ok, try not to panic, you should not worry about bailiffs, county court bayliffs are a last resort, they can only take things of value, if you have nothing, then you have no need to worry.

Also you do not have to let them into your property, and they cannot force entry.

Do you have other debts or just this one ?

Give National Debtline a call, they will be able to advise you how to deal correctly with :

(A) the creditor

And

(B) the bayliffe (if nessessary).

But just from the limited information so far, write to Restons, offer what you can afford, and then pay it.
    Don't engage with them on the phone, don't look for there approval of what your paying, just pay it, and keep on paying it.

And get some advice as I have suggested.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter