Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Astraman999
    • By Astraman999 11th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Astraman999
    Parking Fine While Returning Faulty Goods
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    Parking Fine While Returning Faulty Goods 11th Mar 17 at 7:28 PM
    Hi,
    I returned a faulty item to my local Matalan store. I didn't purchase a parking ticket as only returning a faulty item and not shopping. I was in and out in 13 minutes ( the time and photos on the fine prove that) but I have been issued a fine by Smart Parking. My question is should I try and challenge this with them as I was returning faulty goods, I have my credit card receipt to prove I was refunded, or am I just going to have to pay it.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 31,632 Posts
    • 37,311 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    Faulty goods is of no bearing on it at all

Read the newbies thread at the top of this section
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 11th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 3,635 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    That's a new one!

I was sitting in the car.
    I was only waiting.
    I never got out of the car.
    I didn't turn off the engine.
    and now I was returning faulty goods to add to the list of parking excuse myths!

However the charge is ridiculous compared with the transgression and it's not a fine, it's an invoice.

no one here is going to advise you to pay these scammers, however you now need to follow some tried and tested processes to see these Muppets off.

Follow Browntoa's advice read the newbies thread never tell them who was driving, never phone the PPC or scamming debt collectors.

Try seeing if Matalan will get it cancelled also.
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Astraman999
    • By Astraman999 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Astraman999
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:38 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start by contacting Matalan today and if they won't cancel I'll start the appeal route.

Just ones question though. Am I wasting my time because I;m not going to argue about signs etc as there are plenty advising you to pay and I'll freely admit i didn't pay because i was returning something faulty and just didn't have £2.00 in change at that time. I didn't shop or browse and was in and out in 13 minutes.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 40,304 Posts
    • 80,504 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start by contacting Matalan today and if they won't cancel I'll start the appeal route.

Just ones question though. Am I wasting my time because I;m not going to argue about signs etc as there are plenty advising you to pay and I'll freely admit i didn't pay because i was returning something faulty and just didn't have £2.00 in change at that time. I didn't shop or browse and was in and out in 13 minutes.
    Originally posted by Astraman999
    You are wasting your time (and ours) if you don't follow the advice you have been given.

Inadequate signage is one of the most successful appeal points there is. Why on earth would you not want to use it?

Please read the NEWBIES thread then appeal exactly as the advice in that thread tells you to.

Contact the Store Manager, not customer services.

Make sure you don't reveal who was driving. That includes your posts here. We only want to know about The Driver and The Keeper who are two different people as far as anyone is concerned.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 12-03-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 7,004 Posts
    • 6,073 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    Not only signs, locus, contract, timelines, POFA, it is they who have a mountain to climb.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    Nothing wrong with contacting matalan, however you must go in with the correct approach, and your use of the word 'Fine' shows that you need to read the sticky thread to understand the difference between a PCN and a PCN
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Astraman999
    • By Astraman999 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Astraman999
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    Thank you all for your replies. I am trying to follow the advice given on here and have read the newbie sticky but it's a long and sometimes confusing thread so please forgive me if I deviate from the correct path as we are not all experienced in PCN's

The way I understood the sticky was I need to contact the store first and then if they refuse to cancel it I appeal?

So once I have the answer from the store, l''ll come back for more advice.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 19,590 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    that is correct, as long as you dont let the 28 day appeal period "time out"

there is a deadline for appealing any pcn, either 28 days or 21 days, so if matalan or the MA of the retail park dont cancel it promptly, you should appeal it using the correct template from post #1 of the NEWBIES sticky thread

that thread is the best free advice you will get on this topic, so without it you would have no idea whatsoever , in fact you could not actually pay for better advice

so remember, dont let the appeal period "time out", otherwise they will refuse to even consider any appeal

ps:- yes complain to the "store" , but often the "stores" wont or cannot help, so you may need to complain to head office, or to their CEO direct
    Last edited by Redx; 13-03-2017 at 6:07 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 49,995 Posts
    • 63,394 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thank you all for your replies. I am trying to follow the advice given on here and have read the newbie sticky but it's a long and sometimes confusing thread so please forgive me if I deviate from the correct path as we are not all experienced in PCN's

The way I understood the sticky was I need to contact the store first and then if they refuse to cancel it I appeal?

So once I have the answer from the store, l''ll come back for more advice.
    Yes, and then you use the template appeal for BPA members, from the NEWBIES thread (yes, the one in blue). I have reduced post #1 of the sticky thread about appeals only last weekend, so it's no longer as 'long' bearing in mind it includes two appeal templates and explains what's what. You don't need further advice, it is all there.

Smart are no easy to beat it is laughable.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Astraman999
    • By Astraman999 13th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Astraman999
    Thank you for the advice so far.
    I contacted Matalan today and although apologetic about the charge they said they had no power to cancel the notice and in fact were giving Smart parking the boot from their premises from March 5th as they had received so many complaints from customers about them.

I understand I now need to complete the appeal template and send it as an online challenge to Smart Parking, but do I do that now or wait for a period of time.

Sorry for the questions but I dont want to do anything incorrectly
    Last edited by Astraman999; 13-03-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 14,535 Posts
    • 22,864 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If this was a PCN via the post (ANPR camera capture) then appeal using the BPA operator initial appeal (the one in blue text) from the NEWBIES sticky. You do that any time within the time frame allowed by the PPC (28 days normally) and you follow precisely their required method for appealing (it should inform you how to appeal on the NtK - for most PPCs it's online, but do check).

Don't expect a cancellation from the initial appeal, you are looking to hook your POPLA code, where this charge can be cancelled.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 13th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 1,929 Posts
    • 2,679 Thanks
    nigelbb
    I contacted Matalan today and although apologetic about the charge they said they had no power to cancel the notice and in fact were giving Smart parking the boot from their premises from March 5th as they had received so many complaints from customers about them.
    It was Matalan's choice to charge their customers for parking in their car parks. Smart are only doing what their employer asked them to do. Most retailers offer free parking as an incentive to shop at their stores. Bizarrely Matalan must have thought the extra revenue from charging for parking would more than outweigh what they lost by deterring customers.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 14,535 Posts
    • 22,864 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Bizarrely Matalan must have thought the extra revenue from charging for parking would more than outweigh what they lost by deterring customers.
    And from totally pi$$ing them off by allowing Not-So-Smart to hassle them. Disastrous business strategy.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    How did you contact them? email? phone? letter? in person to the store manager?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Astraman999
    • By Astraman999 14th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Astraman999
    Contact was by phone which is when they informed me that they could not cancel the notice. They also said that due to the number of complaints from customers about smart parking at that store they had cancelled their contract with them and were awaiting for them to come and remove their equipment. The contract ended on March 5th, my notice is dated the 1st .

I will today appeal using the blue template in the 'newbies' section and will let you know how I get on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,396Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin