Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pinot50
    • By Pinot50 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Pinot50
    Newby PPI query!
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    Newby PPI query! 11th Mar 17 at 6:05 PM
    I am new to posting so hope I've posted this the right way. Encouraged by the Martin Lewis website and tv programmes I gathered together all the old financial papers I could find about 4 weeks ago and submitted 8 mis-sold PPI claims with the help of Resolver site (brilliant!). I heard from Santander very quickly in response to claims for 2 Alliance Leicester loans from 2004 and 2007. Was offered just over £800. MBNA are still "investigating" my claim about PPI with a credit card. I also have written to Halifax who are still investigating and to Santander-Debenams about mis-sale of account cover for a store card;no reply as yet. Barclays have said they would not investigate 2 claims in relatoon to PPI with loans as they wrote to me in 2013 about possible mis-sale but I had terrible problems with my husband then (which finally led to divorce last year )so I had just put letter away without looking at it properly until going through statements a few weeks ago. I am asking them to look at their decision again. Does anyone have experience of success after this "over 3yr knock-back"please?
    AIso Barclaycard have just offered me £1412 in relation to admitted mis-sale from 12/11/1974 up until now (I hadn't spotted I had PPI) Neither Barclaycard nor I have statements going back as far as 1994 (my statements go back to 2002)so I accepted the offer believing that would be the best I could achieve but am now wondering if the offer could be challenged?
    Any advice much appreciated!
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 6,968 Posts
    • 4,356 Thanks
    -taff
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    Again
    PPI redress is a defined amount, you don't haggle over it unless you are in possession of records that the company doesn't have, such as very old accounts where you've kept the info and they haven't
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 11th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Agricolae
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    I'm amazed that you had a Barclaycard in 1974 (they'd only been in circulation for 6 years and were not common) and doubly amazed it apparently had PPI on it!

As taff has said, to challenge the offer they've made in relation to the 1974 claim it would be helpful to have some records which might challenge any assumptions they've made in calculating what you'd have spent on PPI. Alternatively if you're not sure if the assumptions they've made are in line with what the FOS would expect them to do then you could ask them (FOS) to look into it.

In terms of the 3 year letter there are two things I can think of that you can do:
    * Say exceptional circumstances prevented you from replying in time, and explain what those are.
    * Ask them to look into the PPI sale in light of the Plevin court judgment, which hadn't happened at the time they wrote you that letter.

Neither is guaranteed to be successful, but possibly worth a try.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 18,135 Posts
    • 8,449 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    I'm amazed that you had a Barclaycard in 1974 (they'd only been in circulation for 6 years and were not common) and doubly amazed it apparently had PPI on it!
    Originally posted by Agricolae
    The PPI won't have gone back to 1974, since PPI didn't exist back then. Obviously, it must have been purchased sometime later. I imagine it was actually 1994, since the OP mentions that date later in the same sentence.
    e?
    AIso Barclaycard have just offered me £1412 in relation to admitted mis-sale from 12/11/1974 up until now (I hadn't spotted I had PPI) Neither Barclaycard nor I have statements going back as far as 1994
    Originally posted by Pinot50
    • Pinot50
    • By Pinot50 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pinot50
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    Hi thanks for your replies Moneyineptitude and Agricolae. I mistyped the second date of 1994-it should have been 1974 (Barclaycard told me in their letter that they "mis-sold you PPI on your credit card on 12 November 1974" . In my Resolver complaint I said I had credit card statements going back to 2001 but recalled having a Barclaycard previously and it's them that have come up with this specific date of mis-sale. I am ringing them up for clarification later today and will update the Forum later. Yes I was surprised at the date too but that's what they put in the letter!
    • Pinot50
    • By Pinot50 13th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pinot50
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    Reply to Agricole
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    Thanks-yes in my reply to the rejection-because-of-out-of-time letter I explained about the impact of the marital problems but didn't think about the Plevin issue so will write to them again. In relation to the 1974 Barclaycard issue,this was the date they gave me,I couldn't remember exactly when it was. I am ringing them today so will update the Forum later.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    Thanks-yes in my reply to the rejection-because-of-out-of-time letter I explained about the impact of the marital problems but didn't think about the Plevin issue so will write to them again. In relation to the 1974 Barclaycard issue,this was the date they gave me,I couldn't remember exactly when it was. I am ringing them today so will update the Forum later.
    Plevin is just related to commission over 50% and you only get the amount over the 50% back, it doesn't mean a new ppi complaint unfortunately.

Ppi didn't exist in 1974, they may have been talking about about the card being from then but ppi was a mid 80s product and wasn't hugely popular until the late 80s
    • Pinot50
    • By Pinot50 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pinot50
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    Have just got off the phone with Barclaycard. They have now given a different date of mis-sale from 24th October 1988! Still couldn't explain exactly what proportion of their offer is based on statements which detail the insurance premiums paid and what proportion based on estimate over the years where statements are missing other than citing their "computer tool" however a written reply will be sent with a break-down.
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 20th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Agricolae
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:05 PM
    Have just got off the phone with Barclaycard. They have now given a different date of mis-sale from 24th October 1988! Still couldn't explain exactly what proportion of their offer is based on statements which detail the insurance premiums paid and what proportion based on estimate over the years where statements are missing other than citing their "computer tool" however a written reply will be sent with a break-down.
    It sounds like you had the card from 1974 and then they sold you the PPI in 1988.

All they can really do if they don't know how much you actually spent on it (understandable as they can't be expected to keep statements forever), is make some assumptions based on what they do know about how you used your card from 2001/2002. For example if you had a pattern of running up big balances which you didn't pay off for a while (meaning you'd pay more for PPI) then they might assume that was likely to be the case from 1988 to 2001 and calculate accordingly.

I'm just speculating but that sounds like a reasonable way to go about it. Let us know if anything seems "off" about the breakdown you get.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

2,262Users online

Martin's Twitter