Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charjack123
    • By charjack123 11th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 17Thanks
    charjack123
    Have you ever cut a holiday short and gone home early?
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    Have you ever cut a holiday short and gone home early? 11th Mar 17 at 5:50 PM
    If so for what reason?
Page 1
    • tanith
    • By tanith 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 8,581 Thanks
    tanith
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Yes because were in Wales and it rained every day and being in a caravan with 3 kids in the rain was not a happy experience. We left on Thursday instead of Saturday.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 4,133 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    a data miner dug a tunnel under the campsite and we all had to go home.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 605
    This week 46.3
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 11th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 7,068 Posts
    • 12,250 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    Went to Copenhagen; didn't really like it and i was drinking too much at the time.

I then went back to Germany then home.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 11th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 15,753 Posts
    • 41,091 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    Have done this three times. Each time it was due to heavy rain in the West Country. The most recent was last year when we had a holiday in June and it rained every day bar one. There are only so many stately homes you can visit. When the weather is nice its so easy but when it rains you have to find entertainment. We stayed in a cottage and there was a barbecue outside. We used to stare at it through the rain drenched window.

So we came home on the Friday rather than the Saturday and saved a bit of money.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 11th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 11,222 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:27 PM
    Three times - twice due to the weather in the UK The other time was when a relative died. We were in France at the time and we went home on a different ferry route and think paid £30-50 extra. Think holiday was cut short by 3 days in a fortnight holiday.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 21,350 Posts
    • 54,434 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    Once, for a family problem.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 14,297 Posts
    • 56,151 Thanks
    Judi
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    Once for a bereavement.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 6,739 Posts
    • 6,688 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    Bad chest infection.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 11th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 4,310 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    One family camping holiday it rained every day for a fortnight. Every night the tents leaked and we would get up every morning and dry sleeping bags in the campsite laundry (highlight of the day as it was warm and dry!!) The final straw came when the slugs started seeking shelter in the tents! We went home a couple of days early - we had friends staying in our house who lived abroad and were visiting family. So when we got home as we had a house full (6 of them, 4 of us plus a cousin who had come away with us) . My cousin and I had to camp in the shed, New with a electric supply, we had lights, portable tv and a fan heater - complete luxury compared to camping scenario.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • harz99
    • By harz99 11th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    harz99
    On a cruise ending in Amsterdam when the previous day's port call was Dover.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 11th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 35,162 Posts
    • 45,295 Thanks
    McKneff
    With a coach holiday company to the grand hotel in Scarborough. Poky twin rolm in the attick, disgustingly overcooked food. Awful, pure crap. Took the Coastloner home 2 days early. Beautiful snowy views on the way home on the coach. NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. pppfffftttt
    Last edited by McKneff; 11-03-2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Miss spell
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    • 21,640 Posts
    • 83,205 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Wish I could have done.

Holiday with an ex and his family, none of whom liked me. Happy, happy, joy, joy, turned out that he had decided to not bother bringing his doorkeys, so had helped himself to mine at the same time as putting my bank card in his wallet 'for safekeeping'. The bed consisted of a few bits of wood and a mattress that was more spring than fabric. I slept on the floor in preference.

Had I got access to my keys and my card, I would have been sneaking off to the nearest train station and going home to change the locks (probably having to climb through a window to do it, because his father locked the doors from the inside and took the keys up to bed with him.
    Last edited by Jojo the Tightfisted; 11-03-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Mar 17, 7:33 AM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 5,611 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Had a caravan outside Edinburgh a few years ago.

It rained and rained and rained etc.

We left a few days early and visited York on the way back as we had never been there. The sun shone
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 5,611 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Have done this three times. Each time it was due to heavy rain in the West Country. The most recent was last year when we had a holiday in June and it rained every day bar one. There are only so many stately homes you can visit. When the weather is nice its so easy but when it rains you have to find entertainment. We stayed in a cottage and there was a barbecue outside. We used to stare at it through the rain drenched window.

So we came home on the Friday rather than the Saturday and saved a bit of money.
    Originally posted by tesuhoha
    That is sad. We live in mid Devon and last June we had lots of sun. You must have chosen the wrong bit of the West Country
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    That is sad. We live in mid Devon and last June we had lots of sun. You must have chosen the wrong bit of the West Country
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I'd love to walk the Valley of the Rocks during a wet and windy day, decked out in gore-tex
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    With a coach holiday company to the grand hotel in Scarborough. Poky twin rolm in the attick, disgustingly overcooked food. Awful, pure crap. Took the Coastloner home 2 days early. Beautiful snowy views on the way home on the coach. NATIONAL HOLIDAYS. pppfffftttt
    Originally posted by McKneff
    You live in North Yarkshire, and you took a National Coach Holiday to Scarborough.....that's a bit adventurous in't it?
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 24,892 Posts
    • 13,227 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I cut short a few days away in the lakes 2 years ago. We had paid to go to a match at Wembley that was two days after the day I was due home. The club used ticket master who messed up the tickets. So I had to go home early to ensure it got sorted.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 57,598 Posts
    • 330,691 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I remember one holiday years ago, probably in Wales - sitting in the car on the Thursday and dad saying we'd go home on the Friday, not the Saturday as the weather was rain, rain, rain.

On holiday we used to sit on the beach, or be in the caravan (which wasn't on a site, had no electricity - and was just a place to store your clothes and sleep).... so if it rained all we could do was park up in a wet car park and look out of the windows.
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 12th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 15,753 Posts
    • 41,091 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    We were near Padstow. It was the week after the Referendum and the Euros were on. We went back to the cottage each night and watched the football. If it had been nice we probably would have stayed out because of the light evenings. The farmer said the weeks before had been nice.

There was one day when we took a picnic to the beach in the pouring rain and ate it in the car. It was so blowy and rainy that when we got out of the car we had to pull our waterproof hoods over our heads and we didn't stay out long.

Another day we went to Clovelly. We walked down the cobbles in the rain and we were both slipping and sliding. It was quite nice there though. When we drove home there was a thick sea mist and it was as dark as night. The worst day though was when we went to a National Trust property and the rain was torrential. We didn't see the gardens at all, only the house and they were collecting people's umbrellas so that they didn't drip all over the house. We saw three NT properties that week and we were going to see another on the Friday but it was rain again and my husband said 'You know what-'. So that was it. As soon as we left Cornwall the sun came out.
    Last edited by tesuhoha; 12-03-2017 at 3:41 PM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,600Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter