Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angel4xx
    • By angel4xx 11th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 8Thanks
    angel4xx
    Amazon marketplace tap broke in 11 months
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    Amazon marketplace tap broke in 11 months 11th Mar 17 at 6:27 PM
    There is no option to request return/refund. This tap has ceased to function after less than a year. I had to call a plumber, which will cost me £50. He told me the plastic hose inside the tap has come away and is blocking the inside of the tap, stopping the water flow. It cannot be fixed. I have used the 'Contact Seller' option to ask the marketplace seller for a refund but if I get no response, do I have any comeback?
    Last edited by angel4xx; 11-03-2017 at 6:29 PM.
Page 1
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    I think you're wasting your time.
    Up to 6 months the vendor would have had to prove it's NOT a defect inherent in the tap.

Now it's your job to prove it's a problem with the tap. Unless your plumber will write a report that will unequivocally say that the hose coming away was due to a manufacturing defect, then I doubt you'd win a case if it came to it.

My only other point is that if it was a top end £700 Grohe tap there may be some expectation on it lasting more than 11 months of course. How much was it?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 18,083 Posts
    • 14,841 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    There is no option to ask to return/refund. This tap has ceased to function after less than a year. I had to call a plumber, which will cost me £50. He told me the plastic hose inside the tap has come away and is blocking the inside of the tap, stopping the water flow. It cannot be fixed. I have asked the marketplace seller for a refund but if I get no response, do I have any comeback?
    Originally posted by angel4xx
    If the tap is inherently faulty then you are entitled to a remedy.

As it is over six months since the sale then you may need to prove the thing was faulty at the time of the sale.

Once it is decided that the tap is inherently faulty, the remedy can be either a repair, replacement or refund. You can express a preference, but you cannot force the seller to provide a disproportionate remedy. That effectively means the seller chooses the remedy. If a refund is decided upon, then the refund can be reduced to take account of the use you have had.

The seller must provide the remedy, if repair or replacement is decided upon, in a timely manner and without causing significant inconvenience. The seller must also cover all costs, e.g. removal of the old tap and install a new one, postage, labour, etc.

All this, and much more, is in MSE's Consumer Rights guide.
    Last edited by wealdroam; 11-03-2017 at 7:36 PM.
    • angel4xx
    • By angel4xx 12th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    angel4xx
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the replies but I unexpectedly got a quick reply from Amazon allowing me to print a return label and get a refund, though they make it look like you can't do this. You have to go through quite a few hoops on their site. There's a video on Youtube explaining how.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 12th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies but I unexpectedly got a quick reply from Amazon allowing me to print a return label and get a refund, though they make it look like you can't do this. You have to go through quite a few hoops on their site. There's a video on Youtube explaining how.
    Originally posted by angel4xx

Could you please post a link to the video as others might find it helpful.
    • angel4xx
    • By angel4xx 12th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    angel4xx
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    I didn't save the link but you can search for "return to amazon after 30 days". It's a bit out of date so you still have to figure some of it out.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 18,083 Posts
    • 14,841 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,244Posts Today

7,197Users online

Martin's Twitter