Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • looknohands
    • By looknohands 11th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 380Posts
    • 163Thanks
    looknohands
    PayPal Account Compromised Reporting to Police?
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    PayPal Account Compromised Reporting to Police? 11th Mar 17 at 6:01 PM
    Hi my PayPal account was compromised and £100 of payments were made to a few stores for online orders. I changed my password and added an extra layer of security, as well as informing PayPal and contacting the stores involved who have stopped the dispatch of the goods to the person who ordered them. All money was refunded.

So this is all fine, but I'm a bit annoyed that someone has done this, as it is attempted fraud. Oddly there is a precise delivery address on the PayPal invoice in Clapton North London, it's the same address for all of the products ordered which were womens clothing. There is also a name, a very distinct name, which I then googled and it came up on Facebook, Instagram and a fashion blog run by this girl, also the electoral roll has her listed at that address, she is 19 years old.

The FB page says she went to school 3 streets away from where the order was due to be dispatched and has worked for numerous projects in North London around the Lower Clapton area. She also runs a fashion blog linked to the FB and the stores bought from are high street fashion chains.. so it's looking a bit suspect.

I'm not 100% sure how PayPal scams work, but this seems a little suspicious that she's somehow accessed my PayPal and that the products are intended for her right? Do you think this is worth reporting to the police, obviously my evidence isn't water tight as it's just googled and maybe I'm missing something here that is part of the scam, that she's innocently being used to acquire my money? Also where do you report this, it doesn't seem like I'd call my local non-emergency number.

Anyone else ever had similar? Seems way too obvious to leave your address and name on a PP invoice you're scamming.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 16,456 Posts
    • 10,629 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 4,971 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    badger09
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    Sounds a strange sort of fraud.

If someone is clever enough to hack your PayPal account, they'd surely be clever enough to avoid having the purchases delivered to their home address
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 29,332 Posts
    • 18,545 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM

If someone is clever enough to hack your PayPal account, they'd surely be clever enough to avoid having the purchases delivered to their home address
    Originally posted by badger09
    You would have thought so but there are a number of folk who are missing a number of brain cells, it appears this 19 year old is 1 of them.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • masonic
    • By masonic 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    masonic
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:43 PM
    Some time ago a work colleague had a call from their bank about some suspicious debit card transactions. One of them being an online payment of someone's council tax bill. The mind boggles.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    I had a fraud on my credit card where they paid a debt collection agency to service their debt and also Interflora for his gf.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 11th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 3,560 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    Just because the products are being delivered to a named person at an identifiable address doesn't mean it was that person who committed the fraud.

They may have been ordered by a third party as a gift for her.

Or she may also be victim of fraud, unwittingly, by ordering through a dodgy website or a bloke she met at the pub, who took their money, ordered the item for them with your money but kept their money.

It's not necessarily as black and white as you might think.
    Last edited by Zanderman; 11-03-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,271 Thanks
    masonic
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    Just because the products are being delivered to a named person at an identifiable address doesn't mean it was that person who committed the fraud.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    Yes, and it could be someone who thinks they can intercept this person's mail who ordered the items and plans to swipe them when they are delivered.
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    takman
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:44 PM

Originally posted by badger09
    The PayPal account definitely will not have been hacked. The OP has given out their password somehow by either some kind of Phishing attempt or lack of security on their PC.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 13th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    I had payments taken from my paypal account yesterday. I was emailed about the transactions so I disputed them today and they were stopped by PayPal. Was really panicking!

It does sound like the account was hacked but I will need to find out more. This is the first time it's happened and I'm going to remove my main current account from it now. At one point PayPal online wouldn't let me change the password or unlink the account - saying that 'transactions were in progress' or something like that. It seems like people can just take more and more if you aren't alerted. Scarey!
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Lorian 13th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    Lorian
    OP might like to check their email address at

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Anyone who hasn't set up 2FA (two factor authentication) on their paypal account really should consider doing it.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Mar 17, 6:12 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Guy in work had fraud committed on his account, they set up an amazon account and sent the stuff to him
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

449Posts Today

4,635Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin