Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poggibonsi
    • By Poggibonsi 11th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Poggibonsi
    House sale investment
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    House sale investment 11th Mar 17 at 5:58 PM
    Hi, I'm New to the forum and hope I can get some advice.
    I will soon be selling my house and plan to go into rented accommodation. I would like to invest the proceeds - 250k - for a short term until the right house comes along, what would be the current best means of investment? I'm hoping to look at month's rather than a year.
    Thank you!
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 11th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 4,042 Thanks
    badger09
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    I will soon be selling my house and plan to go into rented accommodation. I would like to invest the proceeds - 250k - for a short term until the right house comes along, what would be the current best means of investment? I'm hoping to look at month's rather than a year.
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by Poggibonsi
    Hello & welcome

If you're talking about months then your simplest solution would be NS&I. Income Bonds are currently paying p1% but drops to 0.75% on 1 May

https://www.nsandi.com/our-products

If you're not going to plough the whole 250k back into another house, then have a look here to maximise what you have left over

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 23rd Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 23rd Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by Poggibonsi
    You can't afford to lose it and you don't know when you'll need it, so an instant access cash ISA and one or more bank or building society instant access savings accounts in U.K. banks or building societies with FSCS protection.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 23rd Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 4,211 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 23rd Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    Worth noting that the normal FSCS compensation limit of 85K per bank(/group) is extended to 1m for up to six months for temporary high balances such as those from selling your home, as per https://www.fscs.org.uk/what-we-cover/questions-and-answers/qas-about-temporary-high-balances/.

In other words, you could put your whole 250K into one 1%+ savings account (make sure it pays interest in the full amount), at least to start with, and move it to NS&I for ongoing protection (or split across multiple providers) if you haven't bought within six months....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin