Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 6,228Posts
    • 4,754Thanks
    ohreally
    Microwave purchase.
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    Microwave purchase. 11th Mar 17 at 5:48 PM
    Just had mum of the phone, her m/wave needs renewing, so had a look on AO and fell at the first fence. They list combination and m/waves with grill - whats the difference?
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 15,063 Posts
    • 37,726 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    Combination ones can bake like an oven as well as heating etc. And they also have a grill, I think.

If she just wants a bog standard microwave to defrost, reheat or cook things through she doesn't really need combination or grill. Depends what she uses it for.
    Last edited by elsien; 11-03-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    Her current oven has an element fitted in addition to m/wave, replacement should be similar.

I'm still unclear on the differences.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    As elsien has said, combination m/w can cook like a conventional oven as well as microwaving and grilling. A non combi cannot, it can microwave and grill. Can you not look up her old model to find the type if she wants a like for like replacement?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    I'll likely take her to stores tomorrow, I thoughtsomeone would have been able to differentiate between the categories of combination and microwave with grill. I'm just a daft guy and easily befuddled. :-)
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 11th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    Hi,

have a read of this, might help.
    Y'all take care now.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    A simple microwave oven cooks solely by using microwave energy and generally doesn't brown or crisp the outside of the food.

A combination oven is a microwave oven that also has a radiant heating element (which is what is inside a basic electric oven) so when an item is cooked, it browns on the outside more than if cooked only in a basic microwave oven.

A microwave with a grill will cook food quickly but will also enable the food to be finished off by crisping/browning such as with things like rashers of bacon. A standard microwave will cook bacon so that it's fine to eat but many people prefer crispy bacon, something that a basic microwave can't do without special browning dishes.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    Thanks folks.

I think it best I just take her to stores and she can pick out whichever she feels will tick her boxes.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,486Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin