Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 11th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,477Posts
    • 194Thanks
    adonis10
    0 WOW
    Where to holiday in Malta?
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    0 WOW
    Where to holiday in Malta? 11th Mar 17 at 5:40 PM
    Thinking of trying a holiday to Malta but have no idea where to look first. Anyone been? Recommendations?
Page 2
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 6,363 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I went last year the week after the referendum result so I felt the pain of the crashing pound. I never change money in advance but I wish I had this time.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    A couple of filling fresh pastizzi @ 30 cents each for every meal.....washed down by 500ml cans of Martens Gold @ one €uro a can.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 13th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 4,749 Posts
    • 3,875 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    A couple of filling fresh pastizzi @ 30 cents each for every meal.....washed down by 500ml cans of Martens Gold @ one €uro a can.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    If I remember correctly, it was you who suggested Malta when i was asking for holiday suggestions last year.

I'm not saying Malta was expensive, the value for money was pretty good but it may be a bit of an eye-opener if you are used to Costa Del Sol prices.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 13th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,564 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    davetrousers
    I'm off to Malta on Sunday for 11 nights, for the 3rd time. It suits us atm as we have 2 small children.

We Stayed in Mellieha twice before, Solana Hotel up the hill and the DB Seabank at the bottom by the beach. Mellieha is good for trips to Gozo (Ferry is about 4 euros) and Comino and the Blue Lagoon.

Mdina and Valletta are must places to visit. But there are lots of places that we haven't visited. There is an ancient Necropolis that sounds fascinating but we can't take kids there.

This time we're staying in Bugibba, near the bus station so we intend to use the buses again.

Valletta is the city of Culture 2018.

Pastizzi are good snacks when out and about, in Gozo we bought some at 25 cents each.

There is this Prickly Pear liqueur, which you read about in guides etc. It is OK, but there is an almond one which is so much better.

I noticed in October a Google Streetview car, but it seems that it hasn't 'gone live' yet.

Some people don't like Malta, I can sort of understand why as it is a dusty, rocky island. But I really like it, the people seem friendly (generally), there is truck loads of history from ancient to modern times. If you don't like it, don't go again. It's not the decision of a lifetime.

• PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 13th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 6,363 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Excellent info about the public buses.....routes, timetables, fares...

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/routes-timetables

Remember that the buses on many routes fill very quickly.

As Malta and Gozo are only small, the Lonely Planet guidebook is excellent, the chances are that wherever you go to visit will be covered in the book. The maps in the book are v.useful too. It was updated fairly recently, and if you order it from Wordery online, you'll get a decent discount.....mine is out on loan to a mate at the moment.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 13-03-2017 at 1:49 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    I thought I saw you there in Autumn 2015. Must have been someone else.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks for being observant, time flies!
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Mar 17, 5:38 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    We stayed in a hotel a few streets from the seafront with a bus stop to Valetta right outside the door. It was much easier to get on a bus here than down in Barruta Bay where they often sailed past full!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

886Posts Today

6,835Users online

Martin's Twitter