Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 188Posts
    • 74Thanks
    linclass
    Aldi ParkingEye- Making me ill
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    Aldi ParkingEye- Making me ill 11th Mar 17 at 5:25 PM
    Hello all
    I've had the reply from PE, I sent them a brief explanation and with the evidence I was indeed shopping in Aldi. I've been directed to a POPLA Draft on here. I can't see where this is. Time is running out, and It's making me unwell with worry. Please, can someone show me where the template is that I need to follow please to send this to POPLA?
    Thanks very much

Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    they are in the NEWBIES sticky thread near the top of this forum , maybe post #3 ?

also complain to aldi CEO and insist on a cancellation
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    Thanks Redx, yes that's where I was told to look, but it's all confusing me. I went to speak with the Manager at Aldi before I sent my evidence, was very helpful and said to mention they are aware. I got a reply 'although I provided evidence I was actually using Aldi, it didn't meet the discretionary criteria set by the landowners'. I wonder what THAT is then!! The extra 14 days they've graciously given me to pay will be up on Wednesday. I don't know what I'm looking for on post #3 .
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 11th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    I went to speak with the Manager at Aldi
    And what happened when you told him to cancel?
    There is a hidden clause with ALDI and parking eye, which causes issues, as there is no way you can agree, or disagree to it.

I'm guessing by the making me sick comment you are worried about going beyond the so called discount period?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    And what happened when you told him to cancel?
    There is a hidden clause with ALDI and parking eye, which causes issues, as there is no way you can agree, or disagree to it.

I'm guessing by the making me sick comment you are worried about going beyond the so called discount period?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    I'm worried about the whole bally episode Half_way. I've read a few of the appeals on here, and they seem very 'legaleeze' talk which I just don't get on with. I've started an appeal to POPLA, which is below:

REF: 122420/89xxxx
    Date of notice: 10/02/2017
    Date of Event: 04/02/2017

I am appealing the PCN sent by ParkingEye REF and dated as above.

The day in question was a Saturday, and of course very busy.
    The full compliment of staff wasn't available to man the tills at the time the shopping was paid for.
    The Manager at Aldi Sleaford is aware of this PCN and advised that in the absence of a till receipt, the bank statement showing the cost of the shopping be submitted. It's attached to this letter.

This is an unfair PCN as the failure to vacate the car park space was beyond the driver's control.

I don't know what else to say in my defence! Should it be sent via the POPLA website? I've just looked at it, and the first thing it mentions is a 10 digit verification code. Well I can't see one on the letter from ParkingEye!

I'm very aware that my appeal is only lines long, when some of those I've read are almost booklet size.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    that is not a POPLA appeal , start again , you are not telling a story, you are using legal arguments for your appeal, nothing else is relevant

the BOOKLET SIZE ones are correct, the ones with legal jargon in them

and when its been drafted and approved, the NEWBIES sticky thread tells you how to upload it to the POPLA website , as a pdf under OTHER

check the PE rejection again , the POPLA code should be on it , so check all sides
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    Redx, the legal ones I've read are pointing out things like the signage being deficient, well that's not in dispute. So am I gonna lie? Yes - there is a POPLA Ref, it's on the reject letter I received earlier this week :-)

It does incidentally, have the paragraph 'You are warned that if after 29 days from the date given.....'
    Last edited by linclass; 11-03-2017 at 8:20 PM.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    nobody is asking you to lie

but the signage has to form a contract and be clear and to abide by the BPA Cop

THE POINT IS THAT THE SIGNAGE ALMOST ALWAYS FAILS THE ABOVE TESTS

I dont care what YOU think about the signage , only that it is legal in terms of what it must comply with

CM has stated in numerous threads that she wrote a template for aldi and PE etc

says so in this recent thread here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5599997

so NO , do not lie , but you are to put them to strict proof on signage , that it meets the CRA2015 , that the "hidden clauses in their contract" are conveyed on the signage , that it passes the BEAVIS case test (those signs were clear and legible and numerous , aldi ones arent)

lose the guilt complex and start by accepting that the regulars you are asking for help know more about it than you do , as in that bergkamp thread

so accept nothing , question everything , assume PE have failed on a legal technicality already , its that you have to ask the popla assessor to find
    Newbies !!
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 11th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    Fortunately you have landed in the right place.

If that is your POPLA appeal, and you have sent it off, it will fail.
    It sholdnt but as you have geussed you haver to use all sorts of mumbo jumbo to get it through POPLA ( theres a very good guide in the sticky thread)
    Parking eye are one of the most litigious parking companies out there, who will take motorists to court no matter what.
    However, depsite all the Parking eye cases, there has yet to be one involving an Aldi site.
    Another piece of good news is tat a POPLA decision is not binding upon the motorist, so even if they say you have lost and should pay, you are under no obligation to do so.

If you have sent that as a POPLA appeal, do not worry, seriously this whole PPc buisness is designed to make people worry, panic and pay up, or do something that could put them at a disadvantage - Fluff bluster and bullshyte.

My advice would be to re-visit the ALDI in question, make a copy of the parking charge notice and take it with you - i have helped a few people deal with PE @ Aldi in this way.

If you have completed a shop and have a full trolley, or even better a full trolley with frozen goods try enquiring at the till before you pay
    you (U): hi - can i speak to the manager
    Staff member (S) wot? er, wots it about?
    U: Ive received a parking charge notice, from your agents, parking eye and i would like you to resolve it before i pay for these goods
    S: er,,, hang on ( shouts for supervisor/manager)
    Manager comes over....
    You: ive a parking charge notice here, after spending X amount of time and X amount of money in your busy store i received this which i think is disgusting, as you have Parking eye acting as your agents, you are jointly liable for their actions, and i would appreciate it if you could call Parking eye to get this charge cancelled, from my research into this matter you should have a number that you can call in your store office to cancel these things directly with Parking eye. At which point the manager should go away to the office with your copy of the parking charge notice/document(s) , when He/she returns ask about the hidden clause: I am also aware of a hidden clause regarding parking, however as this has not been disclosed then how can
    people be held to any terms and conditions that your agents, parking eye try and impose?

Also post to their face book page

If you want to stir things up a little, you can trawl through the local authority's planning site most PE sites do not have the required permission to operate, they need planning permission for the ANPR cameras ( note these are not CCTV) planning permission for the signs, and if they are over a certain size (30cm square?) the signs also require Advertising consent.

Again do not worry, thats what parking companies want you to do, take it all in your stride, and once you've got your head around it get even
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    ps:- I told you in post #2 to complain LOUDLY to the ALDI CEO

despite it making you ill, you have not yet done this vital task

I also told you to recheck the PE rejection for the 10 digit popla code as well

edit , I see in your earlier edited post you found that code now

you had 28 days from that rejection to submit a "legal jargon" popla appeal
    Last edited by Redx; 11-03-2017 at 8:32 PM.
    Newbies !!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 5,522 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Thanks Redx, yes that's where I was told to look, but it's all confusing me. I went to speak with the Manager at Aldi before I sent my evidence, was very helpful and said to mention they are aware. I got a reply 'although I provided evidence I was actually using Aldi, it didn't meet the discretionary criteria set by the landowners'. I wonder what THAT is then!! The extra 14 days they've graciously given me to pay will be up on Wednesday. I don't know what I'm looking for on post #3 .
    Originally posted by linclass
    This has recently come up about Parking Eye.

It seems that hidden somewhere it states (maybe it does not state)
    that if you stay for longer than the time for free parking, your receipt must be for a certain amount, think it's £50
    Trouble is that nobody knows about it.
    That by itself is restrictive practice which i guess Aldi approve of

However ... " discretionary criteria" does not form a contract especially if Aldi customers are unaware of this

You have many options but the first is to contact the CEO of Aldi

Mr Giles Hurley Managing Director

Email gmd.cs@aldi.co.uk

You must ask ... is it true that Aldi expect a customer to have spent a certain amount if the free parking is exceeded
    No other supermarket does this.
    Are these restrictions approved by Aldi or is it Parking Eye attempting to scam money from Aldi customers

Go and take photos of the signs, if there is no mention of
    "discretionary criteria", and an explanation of this, Parking Eye
    are barking up a gum tree
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    the thread I linked earlier refers to it and has a link to it by bergkamp

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71287634&postcount=2344

that is what this "discretionary amount" that isnt on any ALDI/PE signs at all in the UK is about

my point is that all this has already been covered in various threads on here over the years, these ALDI issues are not new, its been going on for several years now and there have been dozens if not hundreds of appeals made on the various issues, including signage

in fact , coupon-mad wrote that post in september 2016 , so over 6 months ago !!!
    Last edited by Redx; 11-03-2017 at 8:39 PM.
    Newbies !!
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    So, am I cutting and pasting from:

This parking operator offered parking to shoppers of the retailers....

through to

A Site/User Manual sets out the criteria under which the parking enforcement operates from the retailers' informational point of view and it forms a vital part of the landowner contract which is relevant to this appeal. ?

attaching a copy of the bank statement - I didn't keep the receipt from 4th Feb until the 14th Feb (do people keep till receipts that long???)

My partner thinks I should just pay it, but I can't afford to, and it's too easy....
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 14,771 Posts
    • 18,581 Thanks
    Redx
    you should be drafting a multi aspect appeal of which that template is one of many you should be adding together to suit your appeal

remember , this is an appeal, not a jackanory story

bergkamp is playing with fire by trying a single point appeal to see what popla make of it , you should not do this, yours should be multi point

appeals are based on legal arguments

no contract
    frustration of contract
    poor and inadequate and incomplete signage
    POFA2012 errors and failures
    BPA CoP failures
    not the same as the BEAVIS case
    this hidden clause issue
    de minimis applies

etc

I would try to find a recent one and adapt it, nothing older than 9 months old

shooting the messengers wont help , you are going to have to accept that the regulars here haver seen it all before and are pointing you at the right places, but YOU have to do the donkey work

if it were me and I was ill, I would be SHOUTING at the CEO , go to the top , AS WELL (not the local manger who has no power)

any receipts should be kept for about 2 years (because these form part of your contract , as would any parking tickets you buy to park somewhere) , but copies of bank statements are also acceptable

I tell my wife to keep our PE ones on asda car park (which was SMART before PE) for several months , just in case , plus the till receipts AS WELL

yes its that big a problem
    Last edited by Redx; 12-03-2017 at 1:28 PM.
    Newbies !!
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    I'm about to send a complaint via email to the CEO of Aldi. Should I add the POPLA Ref number that PE sent me?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 5,522 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I'm about to send a complaint via email to the CEO of Aldi. Should I add the POPLA Ref number that PE sent me?
    NO, Aldi are not interested in a POPLA code

This is now all about you spending money with Aldi .. YOUR MONEY
    and that includes your family and friends

Be firm, remember only customers keep the CEO in a job
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    waamo
    Redx, the legal ones I've read are pointing out things like the signage being deficient, well that's not in dispute. So am I gonna lie? Yes - there is a POPLA Ref, it's on the reject letter I received earlier this week :-)

It does incidentally, have the paragraph 'You are warned that if after 29 days from the date given.....'
    Why isn't the signage in dispute? Have you measured it to check it is the correct size? Is the lettering the right height ? Is there adequate signage? Is the language clear enough? Does it form a contract?

Without even seeing it I bet it's rubbish. Challenge everything.
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 11th Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 13,602 Posts
    • 21,324 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    There's no need to worry beyond the POPLA appeal stage, as ParkingEye, despite being the most litigious company in the land, have never proceeded to court with an Aldi case despite thousands upon thousands of tickets issued. We guess that Aldi will not allow this 'next step' to happen.

So there's nothing here to 'make you ill'. Get it cancelled at POPLA (if you're prepared to put the work in to research, read, understand and write a draft POPLA appeal - we will review and help you fine tune it). If that doesn't work (but it should because the resource is available on the forum for you to succeed), you need to ride this out for 6 years, where you will be hassled in the early stages by powerless debt collectors - and no, they can't/won't turn up on your doorstep and drag your TV out of your lounge!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • linclass
    • By linclass 11th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    linclass
    NO, Aldi are not interested in a POPLA code

This is now all about you spending money with Aldi .. YOUR MONEY
    and that includes your family and friends

Be firm, remember only customers keep the CEO in a job
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    I didn't think so, thanks.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 48,233 Posts
    • 61,704 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Redx, the legal ones I've read are pointing out things like the signage being deficient, well that's not in dispute.
    Oh yes it is!

The signs at Aldi are shocking, over half of them don't have the £70 on them for a start, and if this is one with a hidden keypad to put in a VRN, that's hidden in a corner, away from the tills, and doesn't form part of the contract before parking any more than the £70 does.
    My partner thinks I should just pay it
    Even though PE never sue anyone at Aldi locations and we almost always win at POPLA anyway?

Please copy a long POPLA appeal from another Aldi case and/or put together the long templates, there are like that for the reason that they WIN. Do you want to win? Sounds like you do, so use the templates in post #3 of the sticky thread. You are looking the the sentences that say 'here's a POPLA template' (of course).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 11-03-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,675Posts Today

8,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin