Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MercilessKiller
    • By MercilessKiller 11th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 6,858Posts
    • 6,310Thanks
    MercilessKiller
    TFL Yellow Box penalty notice
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    TFL Yellow Box penalty notice 11th Mar 17 at 5:02 PM
    Hi All

Received one of those dreaded penalties for stopping in a yellow box.

In this case, it's a Yellow Box on Purley way at a horrible junction (anyone who knows that road will know it). It goes uphill so can have poor visibility.

Anyway, I'm following traffic, and there's clearly plenty of room beyond the box. I'm following another car, and for some reason he stops about half a car width in front of the yellow box though has plenty of room in front of him. I unfortunately then have to stop. Half my car is beyond the yellow box (or just under) - front tyres beyond it, rear tyers on the wrong side.

I wasn't blocking any traffic what so ever. And after me beeping the idiot in front a few times, he moved forward and I proceeded to go beyond the box.

Is this grounds for appeal? My worry is that I appeal, it gets denied, and rather than pay the £65 discounted fine I have to pay the full £130.

Would love advice on this from any experts. If everyone stopped before the other side was openly clear, it would be ridiculous as it is uphill so that would mean every car at a green light on this 30 road would have to stop, wait, and then go?

Thanks!
    "The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
Page 3
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Do these chumps at TfL actually employ people to watch cameras/review video with the aim of trapping people in the manner described?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    Car 54
    Do these chumps at TfL actually employ people to watch cameras/review video with the aim of trapping people in the manner described?
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    I hope they do, unless of course the technology has made them redundant.

If these offences weren't routinely detected and the law enforced London would grind to a halt!
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    I hope they do, unless of course the technology has made them redundant.

If these offences weren't routinely detected and the law enforced London would grind to a halt!
    Originally posted by Car 54

Brilliant response. LOL!

So they do actually employ people to scour videos looking for vehicles with the back end a few inches inside a box junction, and this stops London grinding to a halt?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Why all the anger?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Far simpler to enforce the rule absolutely than to introduce subjectivity into it. A few inches over in one case, a foot over in another....we'd have a thread on it every day if there were some sort of leeway, with everyone caught trying to argue their own special circumstances. The minute you make any part of the rule negotiable, you may as well just scrap it and adopt a courtesy system such as the one they use in the Channel Islands. See how far that gets in Croydon.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Why all the anger?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

You need to look up this in the dictionary.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Far simpler to enforce the rule absolutely than to introduce subjectivity into it. A few inches over in one case, a foot over in another....we'd have a thread on it every day if there were some sort of leeway, with everyone caught trying to argue their own special circumstances. The minute you make any part of the rule negotiable, you may as well just scrap it and adopt a courtesy system such as the one they use in the Channel Islands. See how far that gets in Croydon.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

I think it might be better if they introduced common sense into it. I appreciate the notion is not known in local government etc. but I feel it would work better if they did.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You need to look up this in the dictionary.
    Will it explain your chip?
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Will it explain your chip?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

It will explain the definition. I doubt, however, that it will explain the preponderance of some people - a significant number of whom post here - to counter a point being made with the lazy 'chip on the shoulder' argument statement.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    Car 54
    Brilliant response. LOL!

So they do actually employ people to scour videos looking for vehicles with the back end a few inches inside a box junction, and this stops London grinding to a halt?
    The OP said "Half my car is beyond the yellow box (or just under) - front tyres beyond it, rear tyers on the wrong side."

So six or seven feet, rather than a few inches.
    • MercilessKiller
    • By MercilessKiller 13th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 6,310 Thanks
    MercilessKiller
    The OP said "Half my car is beyond the yellow box (or just under) - front tyres beyond it, rear tyers on the wrong side."

To clarify, this was one of those huge box junctions - not a small one. Definitely more than a few inches, but maybe less than 5% of the length of the box.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    Car 54
    To clarify, this was one of those huge box junctions - not a small one. Definitely more than a few inches, but maybe less than 5% of the length of the box.
    Originally posted by MercilessKiller
    But if 5% didn't matter, presumably they'd have made the box 5% smaller.
    • MercilessKiller
    • By MercilessKiller 13th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 6,310 Thanks
    MercilessKiller
    But if 5% didn't matter, presumably they'd have made the box 5% smaller.
    What are we arguing here? I'm not saying you should be 5% in a yellow box.. I'm also not justifying stopping in yellow boxes lol.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 13th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob

Fair enough, but I was thinking more about the situation described in post #17. Surely common sense could have been used there?
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 7,153 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Frustratingly, I had a similar experience - driving down a busy road in London (I'm from the Midlands) and saw a box junction coming up. The car in front had plenty of space in front of it and I assumed would continue - there was clearly going to be enough space for me. He stopped so that I was halfway in/out of the box. If he'd crept forward (this was slowish moving traffic), I would have been fine.
    Originally posted by d0nkeyk0ng
    Yep - been there too... but never been photographed yet. After 20 plus years of driving in London, I do look ahead and try to judge whether the moving traffic will clear the box in time for me to cross and then decide whether to stop and be sure or to continue and risk having to stop unexpectedly. It's a balance of risk against making progress. Maybe Croydon is politer than my neck of the urban jungle but you would get beeped (or filtered past) if you stopped every time to wait for a full vehicle-length gap.
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,656Users online

Martin's Twitter