Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chicka
    • By chicka 11th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chicka
    Payment of childcare for April 2017 before 05/04/17
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    Payment of childcare for April 2017 before 05/04/17 11th Mar 17 at 5:01 PM
    Hi
    I'm new to tax credits - 2016/17 is the first year I have been able to claim anything due to a change in my circumstances.
    I have significant childcare costs and receive a monthly amount towards them in my tax credits.
    My question is, I need to look at my childcare costs for the year to 5 April 2017 (or I assume I will need to when I renew for next year) - I always pay right at the start of the month and so, if I pay for April 2017 on 1 April 2017, will I include it within the total childcare costs for 2016/17 as it has been physically paid in that year or, as it relates to 2017/18, do I take it out and put it in the next year?
    It's just it will affect the figures quite significantly so I wanted to check.
    Many thanks in advance
    Chicka
Page 1
    • chicka
    • By chicka 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicka
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    Not sure whether I'm allowed to bump this up the list, just wondered whether anyone could advise?

Many thanks
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 17th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    Hi
    I'm new to tax credits - 2016/17 is the first year I have been able to claim anything due to a change in my circumstances.
    I have significant childcare costs and receive a monthly amount towards them in my tax credits.
    My question is, I need to look at my childcare costs for the year to 5 April 2017 (or I assume I will need to when I renew for next year) - I always pay right at the start of the month and so, if I pay for April 2017 on 1 April 2017, will I include it within the total childcare costs for 2016/17 as it has been physically paid in that year or, as it relates to 2017/18, do I take it out and put it in the next year?
    It's just it will affect the figures quite significantly so I wanted to check.
    Many thanks in advance
    Chicka
    Originally posted by chicka
    It's not easy to answer your question because childcare costs work in a different way to tax credits.

First, can you say whether your childcare costs are fixed (you pay the same amount every month) or are they variable (so for example you pay more in school holidays than term time).

When you first claimed tax credits, how long had you been paying childcare costs?

IQ
    • chicka
    • By chicka 17th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicka
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes - they are now the same, they werent but now she is there 4 days a week so the monthly amount is the same.
    I do occasionally pay for the odd extra holiday day for my eldest but overall the monthly amount is the same.
    I have been paying childcare costs for 6 years now as my eldest was originally in nursery, although last year was the first year I was eligible for any help with costs.
    Chicka
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,879Users online

Martin's Twitter