Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Franco42
    • By Franco42 11th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Franco42
    Wrong service done.
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    Wrong service done. 11th Mar 17 at 4:55 PM
    Hi. I had my Vauxhall Astra fully serviced last year at my local garage. I have returned to the same garage this year expecting a interim service but was told i needed a full one. So i allowed it to go ahead because the garage i go to i trust. I havent paid for it yet because he was in a rush and it was done on the weekend and he shuts at 12. I have found last years receipt to confirm that the full service was done so in my mind i am paying for something that didnt need doing. I assume he has fitted all parts relating to a full service and that now the parts are used and cant be returned. I need some advice on how to approach this.
    Hope you can help. Thanks
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 31,033 Posts
    • 36,724 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    How many miles since last service ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    If you trust the garage just pay up. It'll cost you more in the long run if you need to look elsewhere when you need work doing.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    You confirmed they could do the work, they did the job, pay them.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Franco42
    • By Franco42 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Franco42
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    Hi. Dont know about you but i like paying for things that need doing not what garages say i need doing. I put my trust in professionals and they dont know what service i need. I could end up being ripped off. My friend is a Vauxhall masterfit mechanic and he says i only needed a interim service. I have a suspicion the garage in question either dont know what the service plan for my car is, or is trying to line his pockets with uncalled for work.
    • Franco42
    • By Franco42 11th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Franco42
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    When the garage asked me what service i required, i told him interim. When i tirned up with the car, he asked me how many miles has the car had done. I told him 9,000 since last service. He then said it needs a full service. So it was him who advised me. I put my faith in him. I never informed him to do anything.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    Hi. Dont know about you but i like paying for things that need doing not what garages say i need doing. I put my trust in professionals and they dont know what service i need. I could end up being ripped off. My friend is a Vauxhall masterfit mechanic and he says i only needed a interim service. I have a suspicion the garage in question either dont know what the service plan for my car is, or is trying to line his pockets with uncalled for work.
    Originally posted by Franco42
    In your opening post you said you trusted them.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 13,967 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    The terms "interim service" and "full service" can cover a multitude of sins. What were you expecting would be done, and what has been done above that? What's the difference in cost?

Too much maintenance never hurt a vehicle. And, instead of a "full service" next time, you can just get an "interim" done. So it's not even as if it's cost you any extra in the long run.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    Most manufactures recommended service intervals are far too long anyway. They set them at a level that ensures the car will service the manufacturers warranty period.

I always felt 20000 or 2 years which is set on a lot of modern cars was too long. My cars have a full service every 12 months regardless of mileage covered although I save money by doing it myself if the car does not have full dealer service history.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11,069 Posts
    • 6,155 Thanks
    Strider590
    When the garage asked me what service i required, i told him interim. When i tirned up with the car, he asked me how many miles has the car had done. I told him 9,000 since last service. He then said it needs a full service. So it was him who advised me. I put my faith in him. I never informed him to do anything.
    Originally posted by Franco42
    But at this point you "let them go ahead", when you should have said "no thanks, just do the interim service", trust is not even a factor.
    This is the important differentiation, if i'd been in your shoes I would have said "NO", if they then did it anyway, i'd tear them a new A'hole.

Besides, mileage is not the primary measure of the required service, so I don't why your friend would go by this. The service schedule will say X miles OR X years, "whichever comes first".
    There is a valid reason for this, there are many valid reasons for this and this something that low mileage drivers choose to ignore at their peril.
    Last edited by Strider590; 11-03-2017 at 8:29 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    waamo
    Shouldn't the service book say what needs doing at each service? That's what the garage should have done.
    This space for hire.
    • Franco42
    • By Franco42 11th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Franco42
    Yes. It alternates between interim and full service. This year it should have been an interim service. The same garage done a full service last year, which they have ticked as full service with a reciept in my possesion to prove it.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    waamo
    Given you told them to go ahead I think you are stuck with the bill. I wouldn't use them again though. My service book doesn't use terms like interim or full so I can't comment on that but it does specify exactly what should be done each service. That is what I would expect to be done.
    This space for hire.
    • ilikewatch
    • By ilikewatch 11th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    ilikewatch
    If they changed the timing belt and water pump last year and they've insisted on doing it again this year after 10K miles I'd be livid...
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Tarambor
    If they changed the timing belt and water pump last year and they've insisted on doing it again this year after 10K miles I'd be livid...
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    A full service doesn't include that - timing belts are something that you have to ask for as an additional job. An interim will be just oil and filter and a quick check over. A full service will be oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, lubrication of things like hinges and a more thorough full go over.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Mar 17, 10:46 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by ilikewatch
    Is that what they've done?
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 11th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    a couple of items need to be clarified here 1) what is the actual difference of items changed between the interim service and the full service and 2) the price difference between interim service and full service

my guess is the difference between an interim and full is an interim is an oil and filter change, whereas is the full is oil and filter plus maybe spark plugs, pollen filter, air filter and maybe brake fluid

so that would up the price a little bit maybe 150 but we need to know that before we can give advice, but in any case over servicing is better than under servicing.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 12th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    loskie
    handle it nicely and tactfully if you want to retain this garages services. Point out the "mistake", compromise, agree to pay for the additional parts element but not labour. If there is a warranty to maintain then the correct service schedule should be resumed. ie NOT do the lesser service next time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin