Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Loopy1
    • By Loopy1 11th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 223Posts
    • 84Thanks
    Loopy1
    Post BR and credit cards
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    Post BR and credit cards 11th Mar 17 at 4:12 PM
    Hi all,
    I have been discharged over 6 years. A few years ago I opened up a Vanquis card on the basis of trying to get my credit score healthier and using for small emergencies only. I have always paid this off.
    I checked my noodle credit scoring and this was showing a very good score and no mentions of BR.

I thought it was time now to try a card with a lower APR and did the searches on this site but I have been declined by Barclaycard and reluctant to try any others without advice on this site.

Should I keep with Vanquis for longer or does anyone have any recommendations to try?

thanks
    Loopy
Page 1
    • Johnsmith2016
    • By Johnsmith2016 11th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    Johnsmith2016
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    6yrs so it should have fell off your credit file now.
    Have you got a regular current account now? Perhaps try your own bank, or see if your offered on via upgrade on an account with your bank e.g overdraft and credit card together .
    Always surprised to hear stories of some who recover and get mortgages in 4/5 years and others still cannot get simple things like a mobile contract
    Once you go bankcrupt imo the key is not to fear credit but get straight back on the wagon and manage it well, perhaps you now have little history ?
    I was discharged last year and since have opened at next credit account, cash plus and icount credit builder, vanquish and aqua credit card - all paid off each month. I also did the credit file clean up. Perhaps try nationwide they seem more lender friendly and upgrade current accounts, lend on mortgage 36 months after discharge etc.
    • Loopy1
    • By Loopy1 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Loopy1
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    Thanks
    I am still with the cooperative bank I have got used to their simple bank account (and friendly staff). Maybe it is time to think about upgrading to somewhere else.

I have just checked my equifax report this is fine and have requested an experian report.
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    Was any of the debt in your Bankruptcy with Barclaycard or Barclays? They may keep records internally for longer than the 6 years that the CRAs do which may explain the decline. Or maybe they just didn't want your custom.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,582Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter