Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • summerlady
    • By summerlady 11th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 213Posts
    • 1,227Thanks
    summerlady
    Yellowing broccoli and soft potatoes
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    Yellowing broccoli and soft potatoes 11th Mar 17 at 2:34 PM
    I have had a horrible virus and was off my food and haven't cooked much in the last 10 days. I have a head of broccoli going yellow and a bag of potatoes which are going a bit soft.

The broccoli doesn't look very appetising, but some of it is still green - should I just use the green bits? Whatever I do, I could not eat it all in one day.

I would like to use the potatoes for roasties tomorrow, and could make some wedges etc for the freezer (cut, boiled and seasoned) - will they still be okay?

My poor tomatoes are past their best too but I can roast them.

I have been living off (homemade) soup so I have survived.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 14,231 Posts
    • 35,063 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    For me the potatoes would be ok but not the broccoli. I've found that when it's on the turn the bits that are still green go yellow when cooked which I find too offputting to want to eat.
    I don't think it'd hurt you, it just wouldn't taste very nice.
    Last edited by elsien; 11-03-2017 at 2:45 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 9,256 Posts
    • 100,182 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    I hope you're completely over your virus - there seems to be some rotten ones going around lately.

Potatoes - if they're just a bit wrinkly-soft as opposed to squishy-and-revolting-soft, and don't have any nasty smell to them, they'll be fine to roast. And trust me, if they're going off, the smell is very distinctive, you won't mistake it.
    And of course you can use past-their-best spuds to thicken soup - but I expect you know that.

Can't help with the broccoli I'm afraid, got no experience with aging greens, but hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 210,970 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    Broccoli will be fine for soup
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,158Users online

Martin's Twitter