Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • worriedDan
    • By worriedDan 11th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 441Thanks
    worriedDan
    credit file
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    credit file 11th Mar 17 at 3:32 PM
    Hello folks,

You will be pleased to see that this is not one of my usual self piitying posts! I am actually looking for some practical advice.

I have shifted a bit of debt around onto 0% cards etc. This has affected my credit score due to making a few applications. I had a letter yesterday from Barclaycard telling me that my credit limit had been reduced due to info received from credit agencies. Will this be due to the multiple applications? It doesn't really matter at the moment, however at the end of the year I will need to do some 0% shifting.

By this point I will have cleared about 17-18k of cc debt, so I am hoping that I can take advantage of some existing customer offers, however I know that there are no guarantees.

I guess my question is, is 8-9 months of regular on time payments (2k payments!), along with no additional applications, sufficient time to improve my credit file back to a half decent state? The worst case scenario is that I have to pay about £250 additional interest from November! Not the end of the world, but definitely a situation I would like to avoid if possible.
Page 1
    • C.M.
    • By C.M. 11th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    C.M.
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    As you know, Noone can say for sure as credit scores are varying and useless. ....

However, no further credit applications during that time, and a pattern of regular payments should be enough to put you in a better position in 8 months - especially as your credit utilisation will have drastically improved
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 14,738 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    And you could register for the MSE credit check service so you will be advised when they reassess your score (anonymously) and tell you if it has improved. I applied for a Halifax Clarity last August after my holiday and received a congratulations text the week before last (6 months maybe, after the application and a 0% cash advance) to say my credit score had improved. I have had two spends on the Halifax Clarity (both in euros) and I have not cleared the balance of the 0% for 12 months account. As C.M. says, you cannot be 100% sure but my experience echoes your hopes
    MFiT T4 #2 update 12.11% after Q4
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £2,369.83/£11,000 (21.54%) after Mar (Save £12k in 2016 thread #92 £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 32.68/33.33% including stores after April
    Reading and learning about investing...
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 13th Mar 17, 4:39 AM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 10,438 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:39 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 4:39 AM
    Hi

As OP says, credit scores are a mysterious beast and vary between different agencies. I'd be very wary as having my access to interest free is what finally pushed me over the edge into a DMP, together with an interest hike from 19 to 29% as they realised I was starting to struggle.

If you have the funds, I'd try to make slightly more than the minimum payments where you can, alternate the accounts but obvs pay more towards the ones with highrper interest. I'm guessing you'll have snowballed already, but if not, it's worth trying it to see the best route.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,125Posts Today

6,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin