Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katsopdon
    • By katsopdon 11th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    katsopdon
    Can't rend even with 00000s!
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    Can't rend even with 00000s! 11th Mar 17 at 2:26 PM
    Hi all,
    I need some sensible advice.

I split with ex-H in 2016 and he has now sold the house (his house in his name only) which completes 31 March.

I do not work, though I am looking to return to work (as a solicitor) within the next few months. I have 2 children aged 2 + 7.

I have enough from the equity to pay a year's rent upfront along with deposit. No pets. I would have enough left over to cover bills and rent for another year.

I don't have any landlord references as I've always owned.

I currently receive £800 child maintenance (private arrangement) as well as the usual benefits like income support.

I have looked at and applied for several rental properties but they have always chosen a different applicant who works.

I have offered a year upfront and to pay the next year before the first has run out, but still no luck. I'm getting asked for an income other than savings, benefits or child support to prove I can continue paying rent and bills which seems unfair as I can show a bank statement with thousands in but they won't accept it as income! I'm getting asked how I will pay the rent after the first 12 months and I've said I would pay the next year upfront and early, but still not good enough!

At a push I could get a guarantor but it's only possible, not likely he will agree. The only other person would be ex-H, who refuses to as he doesn't want to link us financially again and doesn't earn enough for 30x the rent.

Is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    It may be the income support that is the problem. Some people have insurance that doesn't allow them to let property to people claiming benefits like income support.
    • katsopdon
    • By katsopdon 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katsopdon
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    I haven't told them I'm on benefits, just that I would be paying with the equity to cover the rent.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 41,978 Posts
    • 48,592 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    How much is the equity?

As a solicitor you may risk your career claiming income support.

To qualify for Income Support you must be all 5 of the following:
    • pregnant or a carer or a lone parent with a child under 5 or, in some cases, unable to work because you’re sick or disabled
    • between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age
    • you have no income or a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings (your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account)
    • working less than 16 hours a week and your partner must also work less than 24 hours a week (you may still qualify if you do unpaid voluntary work or go on parental or paternity leave).
    • living in England, Scotland or Wales - there are different rules for Northern Ireland
    I assume you've been applying via letting agents. Many have very rigid rules, though it is, of course, ultimately the landlord's decision who to let to. Some LLs will be more flexible than others, and may be satisfied with cash upfront and evidence of savings.

Other LLs may be put off by cash upfront - this is what cannabis farmers and pimps offer, as a way of minimising contact with the LLs in the future.

But looking for LLs who self-market may be the way forard.
    Last edited by G_M; 11-03-2017 at 3:08 PM.
    • katsopdon
    • By katsopdon 11th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katsopdon
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    I don't have more than 16k in total, wish I did!
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    sparky130a
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    Hi all,
    I need some sensible advice.
    Who doesn't?
    I split with ex-H in 2016 and he has now sold the house (his house in his name only) which completes 31 March.
    Are you sure?
    I do not work, though I am looking to return to work (as a solicitor) within the next few months. I have 2 children aged 2 + 7.
    So good potential earnings...
    I have enough from the equity to pay a year's rent upfront along with deposit. No pets. I would have enough left over to cover bills and rent for another year.
    Who's equity? I thought he owned it?
    I don't have any landlord references as I've always owned.
    Shouldn't be a problem...
    I currently receive £800 child maintenance (private arrangement) as well as the usual benefits like income support.
    Per month? Wow
    I have looked at and applied for several rental properties but they have always chosen a different applicant who works.
    Why does this surprise you?
    I have offered a year upfront and to pay the next year before the first has run out, but still no luck. I'm getting asked for an income other than savings, benefits or child support to prove I can continue paying rent and bills which seems unfair as I can show a bank statement with thousands in but they won't accept it as income! I'm getting asked how I will pay the rent after the first 12 months and I've said I would pay the next year upfront and early, but still not good enough!

At a push I could get a guarantor but it's only possible, not likely he will agree. The only other person would be ex-H, who refuses to as he doesn't want to link us financially again and doesn't earn enough for 30x the rent.
    And yet he pays £800 PCM in CM ? For just 2 children?
    Originally posted by katsopdon
    It's fantasy land.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    How much is the rent of the properties you have been looking at?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 16,089 Posts
    • 39,967 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    If you don't have a job and they know you are a single mother with young children, they will assume you are on benefits.

The problem with tenants on benefits is that it can be a problem with insurance and even in some cases with their mortgage lenders, but biggest fear for many landlord is eviction if you start to pay rent, awaiting to be rehoused by the council. Then if you don't pay rent, there is nothing to sue you for.

Of course, your situation is a bit different since you have a career, but how should they know that you do intend on going back to work. In the end, if they have prospective tenants with jobs already, they will see as less of a risk to rent to them than you.

Your best bet is to wait until you are back at work, if that's possible.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 6,824 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    I'm sorry to suggest this but you have to either find a guarantor, or move to a 'not good area' where they are more likely to rent to people in receipt of benefits because that's mostly all there is. Just to get your foot in the door. And yes, I am afraid getting a job would be the best idea as you will only have the same problem again. Sorry.

I do agree that LL's are very resisitant to having benefit tenants no matter what proof they have of income. An employed person can lose a job, and have no way of finding another, but they will usually be the preferred tenant because its assumed that all benefit recipients are irresponsible (I'm one and never missed a rent payment even when my money was cut in half for a few weeks because of a mistake).

But LL's carry in their head the odd nightmare benefit tenant as a warning against all and don't seem to do the same with the small group of employed tenants who are also nightmares (Oops then they'd have no one to rent to).
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 11th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    sparky130a
    If you don't have a job and they know you are a single mother with young children, they will assume you are on benefits.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Who will?.........
    • questionss
    • By questionss 12th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    questionss
    Isn't there also something where if you pay all the rent up front then that period becomes the standard rental period and so you (& the landlord) are then tied into a yearly period for notice etc? We were advised against accepting longer periods of rent up front
    • questionss
    • By questionss 12th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    questionss
    If you can pay this year and next out of savings then 16k doesn't seem that high an amount - it equates to a monthly rent of £667
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 12th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    So not the "even with 00000s" as per your thread title!

I can show a bank statement with thousands in but they won't accept it as income!
    Hardly surprising really since "money in the bank" obviously isn't income and the relatively small amount you have isn't going to go far when you're talking about two years of rent, a deposit and other bills.

You need to be realistic and accept that your current circumstances mean you will not be at the top of the list for the best properties/landlords. As others have said your best option is to wait until you are working again but I guess that doesn't help that you need somewhere to live before then. If you could stay with family/friends for a few months until you find a job that could be an option. Otherwise perhaps set your sights a little lower and try for a not quite so nice area/property where the landlord may not be so picky; stay there for six months or so, find a job within that time and then start looking again in your preferred area? (In the grand scheme of things six months will fly and the lower rent will also leave you with more in your pocket for when you do move into your ideal place.)
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 23,578 Posts
    • 89,440 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I haven't read thoroughly, but my advice is always to go in person to the agencies.

It was some years ago now, but with no steady job, no landlord refs, pets and a lot of 'stuff' we worried about renting for a year or so when we sold our house.

Within 24hrs we had the choice of 3 properties, none of them in the top league, but all commodious 4 bedders in reasonable locations. In two of them, the ads had said "no pets," but the agents explained that this rule could be relaxed at their discretion and with the application of a larger deposit. Of course, we had to pass the usual credit checks and put 6 months rent up front.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Less than 16k isn't enough for a nice house in a nice area. It sounds as if you are looking for the kind of house that has a landlord that won't accept people who are not working and are claiming benefits.

What you have to do is find an area where people who are all claiming benefits rent because that is where the landlords who accept tenants on benefits have their properties. It won't be as nice as the one where working people live because most people on benefits can't afford to make up the rent if it is much more than the Local Housing Allowance so the rents have to be less and the properties not so expensive to buy. A landlord isn't going to let an expensive house cheaply.

16k won't go far. I would be surprised if it covered more than one year's rent and all the other bills. The only way you are going to improve on your accommodation is to get a job.
    • Vectis
    • By Vectis 12th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Vectis
    I think you need to explain, as sparky130a asked already, how you have equity in a property which you don't own?

Where are you living at present?

Apart from that, my best advice is to get a job asap. If you really are a solicitor then I assume you can afford the childcare costs (plus you apparently have child maintenance too).
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    Guest101
    Im surprised this is such an issue. They're married and so presumably as part of divorce agreement, she gets a share of this property.

What the OP hasn't explained is how she can pay 12 months rent + deposit + have some money left over and still have less than £16k.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 13th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    Im surprised this is such an issue. They're married and so presumably as part of divorce agreement, she gets a share of this property.

What the OP hasn't explained is how she can pay 12 months rent + deposit + have some money left over and still have less than £16k.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    My rent for 12 months is £7700, she could have less than £16k and be able to pay upfront for a year easily. I assume she'll also be using the child maintenance as savings to build the funds back up as if she were paying rent each month.

OP have you looked at gumtree or local facebook pages to see if you can find a private landlord?
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 13th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Heather2603
    It doesn't matter whose name the property is in it is classed as a marital asset and as such OP is entitled to equity from it just in the same way her exH would've been had the property been in her name.

OP, in my rental experience private landlords that don't use letting agents are probably your best chance. Check out Gumtree, local paper, facebook etc. Otherwise you will most likely have to go down the guarantor route.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 13th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 6,041 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, renting direct from a landlord rather than via an agency may be a better option for you. Agenciess will tend to have more rigid policies, and be less able / willing to be flexible.

You'll be in a much stronger position once you are back at work - do you have any family yo could stay with short term, so that you apply for jobs fits and then properties (this might also give you more flexibility in job hunting, as you can then look to rent close to where you are working)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

7,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin