Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 11th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 22Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Flooded
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    Flooded 11th Mar 17 at 2:25 PM
    I know this is probably not the right place to post, but getting stressed out.

In the early hours of Thursday morning, the brilliant person above me, flooded my lounge. With fan heaters, dehumidifiers and carpet shampooers over the last three days, my electric has taken a massive hammering.

My carpet seems to have been saved, feels dry now and no musty smell, however, the dehumidifier is still collecting water for fun.

Last three days, I have spend treble on what I normally spend on electric.

Can I turn off the dehumidifier?
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 11th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    No, you must leave it on......for ever!!!!

-----

The dehumidifier will just be collecting normal background water vapour from their air most likely.

So, as long as you are sure the walls, ceiling carpet are dry, turn it off. Plaster can take a few months to dry out properly, depending how bad. But as things are getting warmer, weather wise, as long as it is not damp to touch, it should be OK.

Have you tried pulling up the carpet to check underneath?

It was probably the electric heaters using most of the electricity.
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 11th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    I have two carpets down, I just laid over the old carpet, when I got a new one. Jut checked and the old carpet is still a bit damp.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 11th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    Definitely lift it to let it breath and dry, otherwise the moisture will just encourage mould. Especially carpet over carpet, it will just sweat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,910Posts Today

4,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin