Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ClarkeKent
    • By ClarkeKent 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 311Posts
    • 49Thanks
    ClarkeKent
    Cheapest/quickest/hassle free SIM options?
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    Cheapest/quickest/hassle free SIM options? 11th Mar 17 at 2:20 PM
    Looking for the quickest and hassle free SIM option that is uber cheap?

Is there a SIM I can just pop in, without registering and faffing about that comes with £1-£5 of call credit.

There are many 1p sims on Amazon etc, I've tried a EE one before that claimed to have £5 free credit etc but didn't seem to work.

Thoughts?
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 7,737 Thanks
    Farway
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    The Asad PAYG come with credit, but I think it only 50p, but it is free on line, and guess what? 50p in store
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    Three's PAYG SIM (needs a 3G phone), is 3p per min, 2p per text and 1P per MB. The credit doesn't expire, just need a call every month or so, ideal for occasional use.
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 11th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Atasas
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    tello.co.uk
    will need some registering, but top-up is easy (IE PayPal min £2.00), can check expenditure etc
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    another vote for asda.

The EE one may have needed topping up to get the free credit.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 11th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Chino
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    just need a call every month or so
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    What makes you think this is necessary?

According to Three:
    "Minutes, text and data last as long as you want them to"

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Mar 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:13 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 6:13 AM
    Originally posted by Chino
    All dormant SIMs are removed by the networks, the credit doesn't expire as such, but if you don't use the SIM it will cease to work and when it does your money is lost.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 12th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    All dormant SIMs are removed by the networks, the credit doesn't expire as such, but if you don't use the SIM it will cease to work and when it does your money is lost.
    After how long?

My wife has an emergency phone on Orange PAYG in her car, which still has most of the £10 credit that we put on it some 10 years ago or more.

We call it and make a call from it once a year, on Christmas Day, just to check that it still works.

Are you saying that she now can't rely on it to work if she needs it in an emergency?
    Last edited by Mister G; 12-03-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 12th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller

According to Three:
    "Minutes, text and data last as long as you want them to"

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
    Originally posted by Chino
    Here you are Chino, in black and white from their Ts & Cs.

(b) For non-use or non-payment of Three Services. If you are a Pay As You Go Customer, we may Disconnect you if you have not topped up your account with a Pay As You Go Voucher or undertaken any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made) using any credit or allowance on your account within the preceding 6 month period or if your account balance drops below zero and you have failed to purchase and activate a Pay As You Go Voucher or otherwise make payment to us to clear the negative balance as detailed in Section 9.1(i). If we Disconnect you for non-use of Three Services as set out in this section any unused credits or allowances on Pay As You Go Vouchers or Add-ons remaining on your account on Disconnection will be forfeited.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    After how long?
    <SNIP>
    Are you saying that she now can't rely on it to work if she needs it in an emergency?
    Originally posted by Mister G
    Phew, a ten year old phone that's checked once a year? I wouldn't rely on it.

Seriously though, check the Orange/EE terms and conditions for the actual time, 3 to 6 months has been mentioned. The networks run a check every few months to flush out dormant SIMs. Thousands are issued then not used, the numbers are eventually re-issued but I don't know the re-use timescale.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    Phew, a ten year old phone that's checked once a year? I wouldn't rely on it.

Seriously though, check the Orange/EE terms and conditions for the actual time, 3 to 6 months has been mentioned. The networks run a check every few months to flush out dormant SIMs. Thousands are issued then not used, the numbers are eventually re-issued but I don't know the re-use timescale.
    I should have said that the SIM is over 10 years old. We tend to put my old phone in her car. The current one is a Nokia 6310, which still works just fine.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 7,509 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    I have a few that old with credit and just make one chargeable call or (in some cases) send a free text every 6 months. Absolutely no need to make a charge "every month or so".
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Mister G
    I have a few that old with credit and just make one chargeable call or (in some cases) send a free text every 6 months. Absolutely no need to make a charge "every month or so".
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Indeed. I've just checked the Orange Ts & Cs.

3.4 We will disconnect your Device if during the previous six months, you have not Registered a new
    Top Up or you have not made chargeable calls from your Device. For the avoidance of doubt calls
    shall include but not be limited to voice calls, data calls and text messaging.

Although I'm currently only using it once a year, looks like I'll need to use it every 6 months now.

I also checked when we first bought the SIM -1994! No mention of the SIM expiring back then.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Don't leave it for six months, potentially one day over and it could be ceased. EE have the following in their T&Cs:
    "If you donít call, text or top-up every 180 days you will be disconnected and youíll lose any credit on your account"
    • ClarkeKent
    • By ClarkeKent 12th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ClarkeKent
    Three looks a good option, £5 minimum top up
    http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/threes-321-tariff
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    AndyPK
    EE can be topped up with £5 on the website. And he already has an EE sim
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 12th Mar 17, 3:16 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    mac.d
    Indeed. I've just checked the Orange Ts & Cs.

Although I'm currently only using it once a year, looks like I'll need to use it every 6 months now.

I also checked when we first bought the SIM -1994! No mention of the SIM expiring back then.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    They pretty much all have some sort of credit expiry, its not a new thing. And while they don't always stick rigidly to it (as you've found with your once a year use), it is worth using it a little more often just in case.

The handy Ken's Tech Tips site has a page that lists the expiry dates of many of the PAYG networks:

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 7,509 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Don't leave it for six months, potentially one day over and it could be ceased. EE have the following in their T&Cs:
    "If you don’t call, text or top-up every 180 days you will be disconnected and you’ll lose any credit on your account"
    They aren't on EE and I am well aware of the t&c for each one. They get the nececessary use 1 day before the limit - though in some cases the limit is 270 days. I never use them in any case (even though one has well over £100 credit on it), since I really only use cashback contracts which make a profit rather than cost me anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin