Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sneakygloworm
    • By sneakygloworm 11th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sneakygloworm
    New for Old insurance cover - possible dissatisfaction
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    New for Old insurance cover - possible dissatisfaction 11th Mar 17 at 2:09 PM
    Hi,

I have damaged a 9 year old AV amplifier that cost 1300 pounds when new.Under the insurance details it says Like for like, new for old. I have a horrible feeling that with the advancements in electronics, I will be offered an entry level amplifier ( 3 or 400 pounds) that may have the original spec but is built to a lesser quality/budget.

I will have the option of putting money up front to get the Amp I feel I am replacing but it defeats the object of insuring the item to begin with.

Does anyone have any experience with how this works? Will I be offered an item that includes upgrades that have happened over the 9 years or will they simply offer me an item that is "the same" as the one I have? Many Thanks
Page 1
    • TSx
    • By TSx 11th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    TSx
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    They will compare based on specification - you can argue but only on the basis of the spec being different. You will not be entitled to benefit from improvements in technology over the last 9 years (although I'm sure in some ways that will be unavoidable)
    • sneakygloworm
    • By sneakygloworm 11th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sneakygloworm
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    Oh Dear. I feel a great deal of disappointment around the corner...Many thanks for replying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,048Users online

Martin's Twitter