Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scotmum3
    • By Scotmum3 11th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Scotmum3
    Motoring convictions
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    Motoring convictions 11th Mar 17 at 1:18 PM
    I am looking for new car insurance. Quotes are quite high. I had a cu80 in may 2012. Points are now off my licence.. but im still being penalised. I contacted dvla and they said its only on record for 4 years. Why do insurance companies ask for past 5 years about any covictions and penalise us after the points are off your licence. Do i need to disclose my cu80 now? should i still declare it even knowing it will still raise my premiums or keep quiet since its off my licence? I am not sure what to do
Page 1
    • Retrogamer
    • By Retrogamer 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    Retrogamer
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    You will need to answer all questions asked by your insurance company honestly or you'll be committing fraud.

They're still considered "unspent" despite them being off your license IIRC
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    unforeseen
    DVLA only take it into account for 4 years however the conviction is not spent until the 5 year point. That is the reason that insurers ask for 5 years
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 11th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    Even though the DVLA may only keep their own records for for years it is still a matter of fact that you were convicted of the offence and you must declare it if asked or risk having your policy voided.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does limit this by allowing for offence to become 'spent' after a certain length of time, after which they do not need to be declared for most purposes. Most minor motoring offence become spent after five years - longer than the DVLA hold their own records. So you have to declare the conviction until May 2017.

We're it not for the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act the would be nothing to stop insurance companies requiring you to declare motoring convictions for the rest of your life ( as many do in Ireland I believe).

If you're tempted not to declare it and hope your insurer doesn't find out remember that any insurer you've had a quote from in the last four years with the conviction declared will have a record of this and may cross reference your declaration with your old quotes in the event of a claim.
    Last edited by Aretnap; 11-03-2017 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Uselessness
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    Even though the DVLA may only keep their own records for for years it is still a matter of fact that you were convicted of the offence and you must Susie it if asked our risk having your policy voided.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does pay out some like to this by allowing for offence to become 'spent' after a certain length of time, after which they do not need to be declared for most purposes. Most minor motoring offence become spent after five years - longer than the DVLA hold their own records. So you have to declare the conviction until May 2017.

We're it not for the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act the would be nothing to do insurance companies requiring you to declare motoring convictions for the rest of your life ( as many do in Ireland I believe).

If you're tempted not to declare it and hope your insurer doesn't find out remember that any insurer give her a quote from in the last four years with the conviction declared will have a record of this and may cross reference you declaration with your old quotes in the event of a claim.
    Originally posted by Aretnap

Aretnap, given the usual quality of your posts I've got to ask:

What you're saying is clear enough and (as usual) on the money but were you suffering major predictive text / voice-to-text woes when you wrote that or am I developing late-onset dyslexia?
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 11th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    Aretnap, given the usual quality of your posts I've got to ask:

What you're saying is clear enough and (as usual) on the money but were you suffering major predictive text / voice-to-text woes when you wrote that or am I developing late-onset dyslexia?
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Gah! New phone, small screen and being in too much of a rush to proof read is not a good combination. Hope I've fixed the worst of it now!
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    You have no idea how relieved that makes me!

Spend a fair bit of my online time on sites where literacy isn't a strong point & expect to have to work on understanding them but, when it happens with an otherwise eloquent poster on here, couldn't help wondering if maybe it was me not them
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 11th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    Just as well you are not the new customer for the offence because you would have 6 points for 5yrs and not 3. I'm sure the insurance would be very much more punishing
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,197Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin