Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RainbowLaura
    • By RainbowLaura 11th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 14Thanks
    RainbowLaura
    How much credit to be in and when
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    How much credit to be in and when 11th Mar 17 at 12:27 PM
    I was just wondering how much credit it is wise to keep on energy accounts, and when is a good time to think about claiming some back if it builds up too much?

We've been paying £60 per month for about 2 years, and are currently about £250 in credit. With the heating to (hopefully) be switched off by the end of the month, I'm thinking about requesting £100 back. Does this sound sensible?

Our deal is fixed for nearly another year by the way, so the increases shouldn't bite us yet.
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 11th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 63,031 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    In your position, I would claim £150 back and ask that the direct debit be reduced by £10.
    • ktee_uk
    • By ktee_uk 11th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    ktee_uk
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    Over past few years my energy account seems to swing between £30 and £12 a month. EDF notified me to say they were increasing my DD from £12 to £24 a month. When I checked what I had actually consumed it equated to £16 a month. They just seemed either inept at sorting it out or just after my money "........... wonder which one it was !

Anyhow, I called and told them I wanted to change it to £16 and they eventually agreed after spinning me the "we are trying to help you budget and smooth your payments "

So for your situation I would ask for all the money to be paid back to you and adjust your DD to 1/12th of your annual consumption
    Mortgage free after 12years
    Saving for early and comfortable retirement
    "If you want to forget your worries, wear tight shoes"
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 8,522 Posts
    • 5,052 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    I thought they automatically refunded when the credit reached a certain figure.

My provider does and by doing so caused me to go into negative, as they did this at the beginning of the colder weather, when any excess would be gobbled up.

I had to call, request to make a one-off payment and for my DD to be increased. The existing DD amount would have been fine, if they'd not made a refund, before asking.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 11th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    Hmmm - EDF list on the bills, but not on all of them, the dates of your 'Annual Account Year'

However it is rarely stated as a 365 day period and can run some days beyond that, but if you give meter readings 365 days apart within that period they, with a prod, will return 100% of any credit showing at the end of the 365 day period
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,914Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin