Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MiniMum
    • By MiniMum 11th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MiniMum
    Air con - needs regassing after 9 months
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    Air con - needs regassing after 9 months 11th Mar 17 at 12:12 PM
    Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold. Could this be an issue with how to regassing was done or does it mean we have a leaK?
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 10,994 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    If it was regassed without any repair, then it must have had a leak.

They operate much the same was as a fridge/freezer, gas can't get out unless there is a leak.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    Manufacturers generally recommend that you should run the air con for a bit every couple of weeks, presumably to prevent parts seizing up. Could that be what's happened here over the past nine months?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    Have you not used it since last summer? If not, I'm not surprised it's not working now. Use it all the time, all year round. The system contains coolant and a lubricant that lubraictes the seals. If you don't use the aircon for a long time, the seals dry out and coolant escapes.
    • facade
    • By facade 11th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    facade
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold.
    Originally posted by MiniMum
    If you never use it, the gas leaks out gradually through the seals at the pump, you should use it all the time*, even in Winter, it simply stops working when the temperature is below freezing.

However, you could have a leaky pipe, as for all you know, the gas all escaped in October.

A regas at the fast -fit chains will test for a big leak, then see how it goes if you use it all the time.

*All the time if you have "climate control" it helps keep the windows demisted, at least every week if you have the manual "press snowflake button for cold air" type.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 6,348 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    Had air con regassed last June. Just tried to use it again and it is not getting cold. Could this be an issue with how to regassing was done or does it mean we have a leaK?
    Originally posted by MiniMum
    How "cold" are you expecting it to be? It's not exactly sweltering outside.

If you want to confirm whether it has a leak or not then take it someone who knows what they're doing, eg, not kwikfit.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    reeac
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    If it was regassed without any repair, then it must have had a leak.

They operate much the same was as a fridge/freezer, gas can't get out unless there is a leak.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Fridges and freezers are welded or brazed closed with the motor inside. We have a fridge and a freezer which are both around 40 years old and run permanently in an outbuilding. Car a/c compressors are driven by a belt off the engine and so feature a seal on the shaft - that's the usual source of a leak especially if used infrequently. Many drivers are worried about the effect of a/c on fuel consumption but it's pretty trivial compared with driving style.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    • 10,994 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    Fridges and freezers are welded or brazed closed with the motor inside. We have a fridge and a freezer which are both around 40 years old and run permanently in an outbuilding. Car a/c compressors are driven by a belt off the engine and so feature a seal on the shaft - that's the usual source of a leak especially if used infrequently. Many drivers are worried about the effect of a/c on fuel consumption but it's pretty trivial compared with driving style.
    Originally posted by reeac
    So there is a leak

My AC isn't used that much, once a week usually in winter. It doesn't affect the fuel consumption much at all, but it does make the engine noticeably less responsive.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 12,058 Posts
    • 16,180 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    My AC isn't used that much, once a week usually in winter. It doesn't affect the fuel consumption much at all, but it does make the engine noticeably less responsive.
    AC uses around 4 hp. Unless the engine in your car is tiny, I'm surprised you notice.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • henry24
    • By henry24 11th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    henry24
    People saying about fuel consumption when using air con what about this one, my in-laws live in Spain and years ago someone told them about air con and fuel so they never use it you ride round in there car covered in sweat it's like sitting in a oven. It can be 40c outside but your glad to get out of the car because it's cooler outside than in.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 11th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    People saying about fuel consumption when using air con what about this one, my in-laws live in Spain and years ago someone told them about air con and fuel so they never use it you ride round in there car covered in sweat it's like sitting in a oven. It can be 40c outside but your glad to get out of the car because it's cooler outside than in.
    Originally posted by henry24
    Cool story bro.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 12,058 Posts
    • 16,180 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by henry24
    Generally, I don't use the air con when in the Med or Australia. I find that it stops you getting acclimatised to the ambient temperature. After a couple of days, the sweating stops and you don't really notice the heat.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 10,994 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    Strider590
    Generally, I don't use the air con when in the Med or Australia. I find that it stops you getting acclimatised to the ambient temperature. After a couple of days, the sweating stops and you don't really notice the heat.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    The problem I find is not having the AC on, but the fact that nobody knows how to use it properly.

When I spent time in Australia with friends, they had the AC on "lo", which is basically shoving out freezing cold air constantly, rather than setting it to a reasonable temperature. You get out of the car into 40C heat and it's like walkng into a wall. The thing is, just like with heating, people think changing the thermostat to extremes will make things heat/cool faster.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 11,919 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The other factor to consider is that, in the UK, aircon is actually at its most useful in winter weather. It dries the air, as well as cools it - the dried, cooled air is then passed over the heater matrix, so you can have warm, dry air. That's, very simply, the fastest way possible to demist windows and keep them clear.

Mind you, given the number of people you see driving around in what looks to be a mobile sauna with a tiny porthole wiped in the condensation, people don't seem to understand that airflow is necessary, either...
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 12th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Peter999
    The problem I find is not having the AC on, but the fact that nobody knows how to use it properly.

When I spent time in Australia with friends, they had the AC on "lo", which is basically shoving out freezing cold air constantly, rather than setting it to a reasonable temperature. You get out of the car into 40C heat and it's like walkng into a wall. The thing is, just like with heating, people think changing the thermostat to extremes will make things heat/cool faster.
    Yes, that's right if you turn the boiler thermostat up to an extreme it definitely heats up a lot quicker.

It's all explained here by Jez from Peep Show :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqcuzUleNQ
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 13th Mar 17, 5:44 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Muscle750
    If its a vw golf/ Audi/ Skoda it may well be the pump failed the clutch fails on the pump common fault and they aint cheap your looking at £1000
    • MiniMum
    • By MiniMum 25th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MiniMum
    Thanks everyone. We have used it during the winter but obviously not on a cold setting. Assume we must have a leak. Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,947Posts Today

7,560Users online

Martin's Twitter