Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tastycracker
    • By tastycracker 11th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 5Thanks
    tastycracker
    Apprenticeship
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    Apprenticeship 11th Mar 17 at 11:55 AM
    Any help would be appreciated. My 16 year old daughter started an apprenticeship in January, everything was going well until yesterday when she stapled a wrong invoice to a wrong order, she discovered the error and corrected it within a few minutes. The woman in charge (not the director as he is on holiday in Spain) told her she was sacked and asked my daughter to leave the premises immediately. I was wondering what rights she has? She has had no warnings, always been on time, never been off work.
    Last edited by tastycracker; 11-03-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Page 1
    • emsywoo123
    • By emsywoo123 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    emsywoo123
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    Any help would be appreciated. My 16 year old daughter started an apprenticeship in January, everything was going well until yesterday when she stapled a wrong invoice to a wrong order, she discovered the error and corrected it within a few minutes. The woman in charge (not the director as he is on holiday in Spain) told her she was sacked and asked my daughter to leave the premises immediately. I was wondering what rights she has? She has had no warnings, always been on time, never been off work.
    Originally posted by tastycracker
    Theoretically she could be fired, but that would be a massive overreaction to that one incident.
    Your daughter needs to contract her Training Provider (assessor/college) to discuss and action what comes next.
    • cavework
    • By cavework 11th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    cavework
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    The woman in charge has an obligation to ensure that when your daughter makes mistakes , she spots them, rectifies them and works with your daughter to ensure it doesn't happen again. That is the whole point of apprenticeships. It is not just about the apprentice , it is also about the training they receive... This is unfair
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 11th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    In terms of employment law the only right she has is to payment for her notice period.

It may be possible for the training provider to arrange an alternative placement. They can also mediate between the employer (who possibly has a different version of events) and your daughter to see if the situation can be resolved.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 17,926 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    It does sound like an over-reaction, but I suspect there must be more to it than you have stated. What was the impact of her error? For instance, was confidential information about one customer revealed to another as a result?
    • cavework
    • By cavework 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    cavework
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    I still do not understand the jerk reaction here... It's a long time since I went through an apprenticeship but I am sure the company are re- imbursed for taking on apprentices.
    Apprentices are just about this ...employing someone over a period of years at a much reduced rate of pay that increases year by year due to their increased ability and the training provided ...until they qualify and are a valuable knowledgeable and fully trained member of staff ...
    Last edited by cavework; 11-03-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 11th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 35,409 Posts
    • 45,570 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    I think there is probably a lot more to it than daughter is telling you
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 15,110 Posts
    • 8,539 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    I think there is probably a lot more to it than daughter is telling you
    Originally posted by McKneff
    +1

Cant help but think theres more to it than the O/P has been told...
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 15,077 Posts
    • 7,621 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    Wow! As far as making a mountain out of a molehill goes, that has to be up there with the best of them. Sacking someone for a non issue. If one of my employees did that and it was not picked up on, I am not even sure I would be annoyed - mistakes happen. But when you have an apprentice who picked up on the mistake, if anything that is a positive. It shows tey are thinking about what they are doing and correcting a mistake.

Which leads me to think there is probably more to this than meets the eye. Either your daughter has made more mistakes and this was the straw that broker the camels back or your daughter and the manager just do not get on for whatever reason.

If it is the whole truth then it is a shame as everyone moans about younger people not working, so when there is someone out there learning and doing a job you would think the support would be there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin