Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patrickrjones
    • By patrickrjones 11th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    patrickrjones
    Better to get a mortgage or invest for income?
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    Better to get a mortgage or invest for income? 11th Mar 17 at 11:37 AM
    Hi. I have been lucky enough to get a lump sum of £74k from the sale of a business. Now trying to decide what to do with it.

Option a) could put it on a flat. But I live in London and my salary isn't enough to get a mortgage on a house that I could live in. Everything I've seen is too far out for me. So if I did put it on a flat, it would be an investment only and would still have to pay rent.

Otherwise, I could invest it for income, in stocks and shares. What do you think? Anyone chip in with suggestions or similar experiences? Cheers.

PRJ
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 11th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 6,232 Thanks
    masonic
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    What other investments do you already have?
    • patrickrjones
    • By patrickrjones 11th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patrickrjones
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    I've about 11k sitting in 2 ISAs. And that's it.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 11th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 9,099 Posts
    • 6,232 Thanks
    masonic
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    Unless it is your dream to build a BTL property portfolio, I'd suggest the S&S route will be much easier and give you a much better spread of investments. There is also P2P lending you could consider for some of the money.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    Any pension provision?
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 9,192 Posts
    • 6,015 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    The tax deal on owner-occupied housing is wonderful, the tax deal on BTL isn't.

If you don't think you'll want to buy a house in the next five or ten years then maybe an S&S ISA would be a good idea. But in your shoes I'd be tempted to keep a fair chunk in cash and play the much discussed game of using current account switches, high interest current accounts, and regular savers. Those combined with S&S might constitute a usefully diversified portfolio. You could even ensure that some of your S&Ss are related to residential property values.

You might also consider a Help to Buy ISA this tax year and a LISA in 17/18.
    • patrickrjones
    • By patrickrjones 11th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    patrickrjones
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    @ColdIron, no, no pension
    @masonic @kidmugsy not interested in BTL. but would like to buy my own place later. what I was thinking was having a BTL would be good place to keep cash until i get a better salary and can borrow more. but more trouble than it's worth?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

3,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin