Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mdbrfc11
    • By Mdbrfc11 11th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mdbrfc11
    Contactless Card Question
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    Contactless Card Question 11th Mar 17 at 11:32 AM
    Hello, I have a Flex account with Nationwide and am stuck in the past with just a chip an pin debit card.

Does anyone know if by changing to contactless the card number and CCV number will change? If it stays the same I will apply for one

it's just I'm being lazy and have account's/debits etc with the card details and fully memorised the number now
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,652 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    You will get a new CVV.
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 11th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    ceb1995
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    All 4 of my cards got new numbers and cvvs when I changed them to contactless.
    Earnings 2017:
    Swagbucks £49
    Cashback: £113.04
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    Is contactless worth having ? I only use mine to get the 5% cashback on up to £100 spend, but find that a number of shops (especially Tesco's self service and Aldi ) have machines which staff admit are 'always playing up' or 'not working with contactless , today'. (very annoying when you have shopped being careful to keep with in the £30 limit, then lose the chance of saving almost £1.50 .
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:51 PM
    Is contactless worth having ? I only use mine to get the 5% cashback on up to £100 spend, but find that a number of shops (especially Tesco's self service and Aldi ) have machines which staff admit are 'always playing up' or 'not working with contactless , today'. (very annoying when you have shopped being careful to keep with in the £30 limit, then lose the chance of saving almost £1.50 .
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    It always seems fine to me. And it's not like having contactless available stops you from using Chip and PIN.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 11th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:52 PM
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Some people swear by contactless, and it certainly seems worth it if you are regularly using contactless-enabled public transport (London, obviously, and some other places) and regularly buy your coffee, lunch whatever with it.

But I've yet to be wowed by it. Our local public transport doesn't use it, we don't buy coffee or lunch out, and so our main use is in supermarkets. And those, as teddysmum says, are very hit and miss, to put it mildly. Half the time the machines don't work for contactless. Or the cards don't work. So you end up entering the pin anyway, having wasted your time trying the 'time-saving' contactless. We've almost given up trying it as there is no incentive to even try it if it fails so often.

But it's clearly a winner for some people!
    Last edited by Zanderman; 11-03-2017 at 4:55 PM. Reason: typos!
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 11th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    Why would a change do CVV number concern you?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:54 PM

it's just I'm being lazy and have account's/debits etc with the card details and fully memorised the number now
    Originally posted by Mdbrfc11
    You won't need to change any account that uses the card details, and there is really no need to memorise the number because it's written on the card so you can just look at that when you need it.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 12th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    The CVV always changes when you get a new card, even if the card number remains the same, e.g. when an old card expires and they send you a new one it will have a different CVV on it.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 12th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    20aday
    I love contactless (mainly Apple Pay) as TSB offer 5% back each month (up to £100 as posted above).

I know some of the terminals can be hit and miss but then again I've had trouble with my credit/debit cards being read when using Chip & PIN.

Out of the banks I use I'd say TSB tends to be the most reliable.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Mdbrfc11
    • By Mdbrfc11 19th Mar 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mdbrfc11
    Thanks all, I'm just going to stick with my chip and pin until the card expires in2019
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 8,229 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    teddysmum
    It always seems fine to me. And it's not like having contactless available stops you from using Chip and PIN.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    I only use contactless to get TSB's 5% credit. If my contactless cards are refused (ie need PIN ) I use my Co-op card using the PIN as at least I get 5p, instead of nothing.

Yesterday,at Tesco,I again did a split shop just over £20 and £10 worth of dog food. (Split to keep under £30).

Just like has happened very frequently, in the last month,the main shop went through, but then the machine refused all three TSBs on contactless. I even voided the sale and tried a different machine,with no luck.

It is beyond the co-incidence that TSB's system was asking for PINs on all three cards ( one from sole and two from our joint account),three weeks running ,so I wonder if the self-checkout lady's comment was true ie contactless systems often go down.

Personally,if no cashback, I would happily use chip and PIN as little time is saved.
    • mauriphonic
    • By mauriphonic 21st Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    mauriphonic
    If you have an NFC enabled smartphone, just use Androidpay / Applepay if your card / device support it. Most mainstream seem to. That effectively turns your phone into a contactless device without any need to replace a card.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 1st Aug 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I thought contactless payments are offline yet my card was declined in Aldi today for £17 which turned out I only had £6 available in the account. So it looks like they auth with the bank there and then.

Luckily I had other methods of payment with me.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 1st Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    20aday
    I thought contactless payments are offline yet my card was declined in Aldi today for £17 which turned out I only had £6 available in the account. So it looks like they auth with the bank there and then.

Luckily I had other methods of payment with me.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Usually they are but there have been many instances (some have even been published on the MSE website) where people have had cards lost/stolen and months later the card is still being used for contactless purchases-it's probably to check the hot card file and make sure it's not been reported as such.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 1st Aug 17, 3:15 PM
    • 19,743 Posts
    • 14,748 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Cards automatically stop contactless every now and again until you use the pin again.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 1st Aug 17, 4:22 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    If you report your card as damaged, the old card number will likely remain and only the CVV will change.

If you have an Android or iPhone you can get contactless just by adding the existing card to it (Android, Apple or Samsung Pay)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,486Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin