Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ps132
    • By ps132 11th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ps132
    ebay seller refuses refund
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:43 AM
    ebay seller refuses refund 11th Mar 17 at 9:43 AM
    hi all, any advice please, i purchased a led tree from a seller on ebay in dec 2016, in jan 2017 part of the tree started to fail, so i contacted the seller who said that the type of failure was usually due to damage by the purchaser (ME), i assured them that i definately had not damaged the tree, after a few messages back and forth with no joy, i got ebay involved and the seller accepted the return, BUT after not receiving a replacement or refund i contacted the seller and they said that there was damage to the tree so i was not entitled to a refund,, i replied to them that i wanted to see the evidence of the supposed damage that i had caused, PLUS then i would send them the video i took (WHICH I DID WITH MY PHONE) prior to returning the tree to them to show that there was NO damage......i have had no reply from them for @three weeks and NO help from ebay, is there any other way that i can go with this, thanks....
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 58,331 Posts
    • 41,276 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    hi all, any advice please, i purchased a led tree from a seller on ebay in dec 2016, in jan 2017 part of the tree started to fail, so i contacted the seller who said that the type of failure was usually due to damage by the purchaser (ME), i assured them that i definately had not damaged the tree, after a few messages back and forth with no joy, i got ebay involved and the seller accepted the return, BUT after not receiving a replacement or refund i contacted the seller and they said that there was damage to the tree so i was not entitled to a refund,, i replied to them that i wanted to see the evidence of the supposed damage that i had caused, PLUS then i would send them the video i took (WHICH I DID WITH MY PHONE) prior to returning the tree to them to show that there was NO damage......i have had no reply from them for @three weeks and NO help from ebay, is there any other way that i can go with this, thanks....
    Originally posted by ps132
    What happened with the dispute in January after seller received the item back? If this was a SNAD claim then as soon as the tracking number you supplied in the dispute showed as item delivered (or an attempt made) then dispute would have closed in your favour with the refund being made automatically. In a dispute the seller cannot choose whether to refund or not it is automatic.

Even if you opened the wrong sort of dispute and went for a straight return (and paid for your own return label) the same thing should have happened, as soon as delivery was attempted the case would close in your favour.

It is unlikely that any case from January is still open, so what exactly happened back when it was open?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ps132
    • By ps132 11th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ps132
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    hi, i received an email from ebay today (11/3) saying that the return is closed, but i have had no refund..below is basic summary of return

17 Feb
    Return item delivered

16 Feb
    Return item dispatched

08 Feb
    The seller provided RMA

08 Feb
    The seller approved your request

08 Feb
    You created a return

Reason for return
    Doesn't work or is defective
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 28,728 Posts
    • 18,144 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    Was there any damage to the tree ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 58,331 Posts
    • 41,276 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    hi, i received an email from ebay today (11/3) saying that the return is closed, but i have had no refund..below is basic summary of return

17 Feb
    Return item delivered

16 Feb
    Return item dispatched

08 Feb
    The seller provided RMA

08 Feb
    The seller approved your request

08 Feb
    You created a return

Reason for return
    Doesn't work or is defective
    So what did the dispute show after the 17th feb?
    I wonder if perhaps you have missed seeing the refund , it isn't that unusual due to the way paypal process things. If you go into your paypal account what does the original payment you made actually show?

Was there any damage to the tree ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    That's almost immaterial as ebay don't care. Once a return is initiated it is automatic.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 9,996 Posts
    • 6,720 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    Did you escalate the case when no refund was forthcoming? If you didn't, it may be the case has timed-out. But a call to Ebay may help them resurrect the refund as you have evidence of delivery. Unless of course you've had the refund and haven't noticed?
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
    • ps132
    • By ps132 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ps132
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    there was no damage to the tree, i video'd the tree prior to returning it to prove there was no damage, on 28/02 i had a email from ebay saying '' Let us know if thatoneuk was not able to resolve this return'' which i replied to stating that i had not had a refund, i just waited then as i thought ebay was sorting it out....until i received the email today 11/03 saying that the return was closed,,, kept checking bank/paypal for refund, but not received it,,
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    There is an option a that point asking eBay to step in. If you sent a message in the case, it is likely it went to the seller and that's why nothing happened. As far as I know there isn't an option in the case to send a message to eBay.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 9,996 Posts
    • 6,720 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    on 28/02 i had a email from ebay saying '' Let us know if thatoneuk was not able to resolve this return'' which i replied to stating that i had not had a refund, i just waited then as i thought ebay was sorting it out....until i received the email today 11/03 saying that the return was closed,,, kept checking bank/paypal for refund, but not received it,,
    Your wording isn't helping here.

Did you get an email from eBay asking if you were able to resolve? It looks like you did? If eBay emailed saying the return was closed, it was because no one escalated it. You should have escalated it when you didn't get a refund after delivery of the return.

Did you respond?

If you didn't respond or escalate, you have lost the returns case.

You might be able to appeal by ringing eBay and explaining that the item was returned and you were waiting for the refund and it never came.
    • ps132
    • By ps132 11th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ps132
    looks like my only option is to phone ebay
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,996 Posts
    • 6,720 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    looks like my only option is to phone ebay
    Yes, but be clear.

Tell them you opened the case and as they asked, you returned the item. Tell them the item was delivered and you were waiting for your refund when it didn't arrive but the case appeared to close.

You are at their mercy. You can only hope they understand you and refund. DO NOT under ANY circumstances waffle on about the item.
    • ps132
    • By ps132 11th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ps132
    just looked at contacting ebay, but ended up with this message...'Unfortunately, we can't help with the return request you opened on February 08, 2017 as your purchase isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. The best way to resolve this issue is to work with the seller directly.
    so it looks like i'm stumped cuz seller already said they are not refunding me..'
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 9,996 Posts
    • 6,720 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Either you haven't given the full story here or something isn't right with the case.

Either way, just opt for another option to get you through to eBay and explain. You really need to RING them.
    • ps132
    • By ps132 24th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ps132
    just an update, after phoning ebay they basically said that it as too late for them to do anything, but suggested that i try through paypal, so i did, no problems with them, and i got a full refund, thanks all for your help..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

10,257Users online

Martin's Twitter