Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 10,274Posts
    • 12,154Thanks
    couple both on contribution based ESA
    • #1
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    couple both on contribution based ESA 11th Mar 17 at 10:21 AM
    Can someone please help?

    If a couple are both entitled to contribution based ESA, placed in the support group are they entitled to an income based 'top up' as a couple if they are eligible for disability premiums?

    So, as a couple claiming ESA contribution based each.
    Both in support group
    Both receiving PIP standard care, high mobility
    No one claiming CA for either
    Living alone
    No savings/capital/assets
    Pension of £30 a week

    Calculator indicates 'yes' but DWP saying they reach their guarantee income so no premiums

    Any helpful legislation/information?

    Many thanks
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 7,140 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    It was on a completely different matter, tax on savings interest, but I could not get clear information, as HMRC staff gave differing replies.

    I consulted our MP, who asked the question of the Treasury and sent me a copy of the signed response from someone in authority, suggesting I use it, should anyone dispute what the lady said.
    • benidorm59
    • By benidorm59 11th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    Have they made a joint claim and filled out a ESA 3 and been refused? On paper they should be entitled to £42.55, Or more if the claim carers allowance, get under lying entitlement they will also get two carers premiums.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    Easiest way to find out is, as benidorm59 has suggested, for one of them to make a claim for IR benefit by completing an ESA3. There is certainly nothing to lose by doing so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,125Posts Today

6,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

  • RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

  • Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

  • Follow Martin