Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 11th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 242Posts
    • 197Thanks
    Stylehutz
    ISA allowance query 2016-17
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    ISA allowance query 2016-17 11th Mar 17 at 10:01 AM
    Wonder if someone might help as I am confused

I am just enquiring the best way of using up my current isa allowance for this year as I am not going to be able to put anywhere near in the max allowance of £15,240

I currently have 2 cash isa's built up from existing years with different providers

ISA A paying 1% and ISA B paying 1.4%

I cannot transfer in ISA A to ISA B as it doesn't allow transfers and I have only deposited £4,000 of this years allowance into ISA B. Both ISA's are also not flexible

My question is, as ISA A doesnt allow to transfer to ISA B, Could I withdraw 5K from ISA A and then put it into ISA B for a better rate of interest?.
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 11th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    If you don't mind using up £5k of your ISA allowance, then you can do this. Alternatively, you could transfer ISA A to a flexible ISA and then flexibly withdraw the money to gain interest on it elsewhere.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 6,367 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:24 AM
    Yes, so long as what you have described is correct then simply take the money out of the old is a and deposit unit the new Isa before the beginning of April.

You'll see a lot of advice not to take money out of an old is a because you lose the tax free status, however on your case then you won't fill the isa this year otherwise and it's a simple task of comparing the two rates.

The allowance for next year obviously increase to £20k as well.

There are also better rates available on current accounts and regular savers, though they need a bit more thought and work, check out the main site and the relevant threads in this board to see a bit more.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    Thank you both for the above reply. Question now answered
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,749Posts Today

6,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin