Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nel Adams
    • By Nel Adams 11th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nel Adams
    Mis sold insurance
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:18 AM
    Mis sold insurance 11th Mar 17 at 8:18 AM
    Just after my daughter was born, a salesman from Aviva kept coming to my house until I signed up for life insurance. We were in the middle of sorting our finances with an adviser but the Aviva guy kept coming back when I was on my own with my baby. I kept saying that I didn't think I needed it and didn't want to sign. He said if I wanted to change my mind I could cancel but basically he would not go away. We have been paying for the policy ever since because I was so confused and embarrassed. For a long time I thought I'd got out of it but then realised we'd been paying. Can I get anything back? How do I complain?
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 18,907 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    What would you complain about?

Life Insurance is not PPI and is very difficult to argue as mis-sold unless you are immortal!

If you don't want the policy then cancel it, but you won't be getting a refund based on what you have said....
    • Nel Adams
    • By Nel Adams 11th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nel Adams
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    I already had life insurance and only got the policy because the man wouldn't leave my house. He literally wouldn't go away. Every time I said I didn't want it he just kept saying you can cancel it. In the end I felt so intimidated even threatened I went along with it to get rid of him. I would complain that his conduct was unprofessional and perhaps unlawful.
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 11th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 2,584 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    You could have cancelled it at any time - he even told you so!

Why did you let him into your home? Aviva don't do door to door selling, presumably you made contact with them at some point.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 89,949 Posts
    • 56,651 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    Can I get anything back? How do I complain?
    Your complaint lacks credibility and evidence.

If you complained within a few months then its highly credible. However, the fact you did not complete the cancellation rights despite knowing of them and time has now passed, you lose that credibility. So, it would have to rely on evidence.

So, what evidence do you have to support your allegation?
    How far back are we talking? months or years

I would complain that his conduct was unprofessional and perhaps unlawful.
    Provide your evidence to support it and you have a strong case. No evidence and your case is weak.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,624Posts Today

7,327Users online

Martin's Twitter