Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Mar 17, 6:29 AM
    • 2,872Posts
    • 38,932Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 11 March 2017
    • 11th Mar 17, 6:29 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 11 March 2017 11th Mar 17 at 6:29 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 11 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot but very dull and dreich.

DH up and gone into work, I'm up, showered, dressed and had brekkie, I'm working also. DS2 is doing his work experience again today, so I'll drop him off on my way into work this morning.

Dinner last night was HM ham and mushroom pizza, breaded chicken portions, chips, salad, corn on the cob, pasta salad/coleslaw - was delicious - HM pizza went down well - none left. Tonight we'll be having egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, hash browns, beans and mushrooms.

I'm pleased to say I was more productive yesterday, once I'd done the food shopping, came home and packed shopping away, I tackled the ironing pile, stripped and remade our bed, continued with the washing, took DS2 to get new trainers and shorts, and visited the big hardware store to purchase compost then once we got back I put the bread maker on to make the pizza base, I then made 2 doz fruit cup cakes and 2 doz mince pies, so very pleased that I got done what was on my list, I was going to cook/bake more but ran out of time.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 11-03-2017 at 6:39 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 34,991 Thanks
    Gers
    I'm back in my own nest! It's very mild here and so far no rain, Glasgow was very wet.

NRA - condolences to you and your Dad and the wider family. I hope your step mum's travel was peaceful.

I've filled the bird feeders, unpacked my wee bag and just about to tackle the shopping bag. There was so much post waiting for me, I've only been gone since Thursday but I'm now eating through envelopes and bits of paper and so on.

I bought a YS Charlie Bingham goulash for me meal today.

As for evocative smells...I wore Charlie a lot, wasn't it in a round yellow bottle? Or was that Anais Anais? EDIT - this is Charlie so not the round yellow bottle!

EDIT TWO = found the yellow bottle - Kiku. This picture is of the powder but I'm almost sure that the perfume came the same way.

My brother wore Brut, even the phone stunk of it! His friends were worse because most favoured Hai Karate!

My Dad was a fan of imperial Leather soap and always smelt of it.

My beloved Omi is brought right into my mind when I smell 4711.

My mum wore Chanel 5 or a lemony one L'eau d'Lancome.

The only perfume I use now is Coco Chanel, have done for years.

So many memories are tied directly to smells, it's almost painful.

I shall make a cup of tea and think of smells and passed family for a while.
    Last edited by Gers; 11-03-2017 at 4:59 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 9,906 Posts
    • 106,477 Thanks
    LameWolf
    NRA thinking of you.

TA sending calm vibes. You're a worrier, like me, if memory serves.

Tru yes it is possible to train a dog as to where he's allowed to dig; and from your previous posts, Scampi is definitely intelligent enough to learn easily; but - and you know what I'm going to say, don't you - everyone dealing with him needs to reinforce the lesson that "this spot" is ok, anywhere else is not. Good luck!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    My Nana always smelt of Youth Dew, my Mum Coty L'aimant, n my Brother Joop. Aww happy memories ;-)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 15,300 Posts
    • 62,803 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

All organisation went out of the window this morning but we got there in the end.

FurryBeastOz have a wonderful time with your girly friends. Its fair to say i envy you.... in a nice way of course.

Perfumes. Mother always kept a bottle of 'Apple Blossom' on her dressing table for special occasions. She guarded that bottle with her life but strangely enough never used it. Maybe she thought it was too good to wear everyday or maybe she couldnt justify replacing it when it ran out. I can bet it went off before she got to the bottom of the bottle.

When i was in my early teens i saved what money i had and bought a bottle of perfume from Woolworths. Sukina it was called but it was discontinued and from then on i went on to Estee Lauder Youth Dew.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 11th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 25,868 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    Busy day today. Met some friends for breakfast then dropped DS2 at the ice rink to meet a friend and spent a couple of hours at the local Dobbies (JackieOs favourite haunt!) DH and I are off to a 70th party this evening. Will only stay a few hours as he's stubbed his toe and is hobbling about like a old man (he is 43).
    On the OS front, two loads of washing done.
    NRA - sending my condolences on your loss xx
    Have a good evening all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 27,877 Thanks
    maddiemay
    nmlc - Thank you for the new thread.
    NRA - condolences to you and your father on your loss.
    csarina - congratulations on the safe arrival of the little one.
    HH - hope all goes well on your first day at the new home, it looks amazing.
    karcher - fingers crossed that the WM is repairable and not too costly,
    TA - fingers crossed for your OH

Loving all the memories of perfumes, TA guess what I have unearthed from my dressing table? an unopened 50ml of Chantilly EDT, shall I insert a smiley emoticon or an embarrassed one I wonder. I tried it and it seems fine, been kept in the dark and not near any heat. I am currently about half way through a bottle of Je Revien and have another one in the drawer. Somehow I seemed to stop wearing perfume, except for a very light Rose EDT, I worked in a small office with 3 other people, my 2 bosses would stand behind me and dictate and often I would have to lean over their desks sorting out their computer woes and strong perfume was not appropriate. I would like to try something new, but as well as the 3 mentioned I have 8/9 of those small bottles that you get in a fancy gift pack at Christmas, so it will be a while yet, but I do now wear perfume every day, even if I am at home alone
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 11th Mar 17, 9:50 PM
    • 4,928 Posts
    • 47,608 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Evening all,

Have had two lazy, pleasant days.....lunch out at OHs expense with DD4 and her family yesterday, lunch with DS2 and his girlfriend as our belated Christmas gift, back home to watch rugby and read the paper. Tomorrow we are off to DS3s for lunch, feeling very spoilt, will probably have to cook for the next 3 months!!

NRA, condolences on your loss.

Csarina......you seem in better form, please continue to take things easy.

TA ........hopefully all your worries will soon be sorted.

Hester......hope that you enjoy your first sleep on Apostrophe!

Have a lovely weekend everybody.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 17, 12:18 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,401 Thanks
    JackieO
    Coxy11 indeed it is my favourite haunt and the Glocester Old spot sausages are wonderful from the deli there.The cheese is often 50% off and thats50% off the marked price and I have had some superb bargains from there Lovely to hear of some of you memories brought out by smells ,they are so evocative aren't they.Is it me or do cinema's no longer have that certain 'carpet'n'curtain smell they used to have and hospitals no longer smell of dettoll I used to love the smell of hot tar it reminded me of my primary school playground in the late 1940s and bleach smells of old fashioned swimming baths ,not these antiseptically 'lesuire centres' of the 21st century
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

8,821Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin