Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emrah
    • By Emrah 10th Mar 17, 11:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emrah
    Council tax help needed.
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:51 PM
    Council tax help needed. 10th Mar 17 at 11:51 PM
    Hello there

My wife has got council tax debts from past with her ex partner. She was paying them monthly, suddenly they wanted her to pay the whole lot off. She said she cannot afford to pay it off which is around £4500. They sent her a questionnaire type of letter to fill her expenses and asked her to offer them new monthly payment which she did and they said council has declined the offer and they will cancel her direct debit and send her a bill to pay whole lot off. The company council uses to chase them cannot find her ex partner and they want her to pay the debt off herself. Is this right? Is there any chance that they can split the bill into 2? She has paid every single debt herself. The guy never paid a penny to debt.

What is our options? what can we do to stop paying whole lot? How can we make the debt company to find him?

I believe they dont even look for him as they have got one of the debtor.

This is Scotland Edinburgh Council Tax debt.

If you guys can help us we would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 11th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    • 10,035 Posts
    • 5,726 Thanks
    CIS
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    Council Tax is a debt where , where there is more than one person who was jointly liable, all the parties are equally responsible for ensuring full payment. Any or all of the parties can be pursued at the discretion of the Local Authority until the monies are paid.

It is very unlikely they would agree to apportion the monies - this will generally only happen where both parties step forward and can pay 50% each there and then.

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Nostrus
    • By Nostrus 15th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Nostrus
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 15th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    Hi Emrah,

Sorry to hear about your situation but hopefully it can be rectified.

First of all, was this an arrangement directly with the Council or has it gone through Edinburgh Sheriff Court?

Also what CIS stated is correct; where one party has been located and the other has not, the found party will become liable in full. Does your wife have any contact with people who would know where her ex-partner is?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin