Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 10th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 465Posts
    • 73Thanks
    bobblebob
    Indoor Aerials
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    Indoor Aerials 10th Mar 17 at 9:47 PM
    Are indoor aerials any good? Back when Freeview first became a thing indoor aerials were hit and miss. Have they improved now to the point they can be used for freeview HD?
Page 1
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 10th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    If you mean those tiny ones you stick on top of/next to the TV then they're always going to be a bit rubbish as they're simply not big enough to provide the gain required to receive a decent signal in doors.

I've have a good bit of success using the high gain antennas that go in the loft though.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 10th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:01 PM
    I can see my transmitter (Hannington) but I've never been able to get a signal good enough for Freeview with an internal aerial.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 11th Mar 17, 2:31 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:31 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:31 AM
    I used to use a cheap (£7 or £8 I think) indoor aerial on a TV in the kitchen. Most channels were fine - certainly all the main channels, but a small number of channels would either break up or I could not pick them up at all. The TV did not receive HD, so no idea if they would work.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    I use an indoor aerial for Freeview and I recieve every channel with no picture break up.

It depends on the signal strength in your area. Based on what I've read, if an indoor aerial can get regular Freeview with a good picture then it should recieve Freeview HD okay.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6,058 Posts
    • 4,608 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    I use an indoor aerial and most channels show in the region of 90% signal strength.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    We used to have an old fashioned all wire aerial for use with a portable on our canal boat and that was pretty useless, even at home, as the smallest movement or someone walking near it were enough to cause interference.

However, we bought one of those that looks like a mini plane to use in the caravan, choosing the one with mains amplifier, but at home it works fine without the mains part, though we are only about 4 miles from a transmitter, which is situated on a hillside, higher than we are.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    My 7 year aerial picks Freeview up no problem. Had issues prior to digital switchover as the signal wasn't strong enough but now it isn't an issue. Issues on windy days though as I suspect it has to get a signal through a tree but apart from that, mostly fine.

And I can have it on the floor in front of a chest of drawers and the bedroom door and still get a signal from it, which bemuses me but there we are.

It may be luck of the draw as what chips are in the aerial, much like the chips in broadband routers some are better than others.
    • ashleypride
    • By ashleypride 18th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 607 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    ashleypride
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    It may be luck of the draw as what chips are in the aerial, much like the chips in broadband routers some are better than others.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    It is not, a aerial is a lump of metal - it doesn't contain any chips.

Indoor aerials with integrated amplifiers are a marketing gimmick. An amplifier is to make up for any loss in the cable, or any occurring from splitting the signal. It cannot make a aerial perform any better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,801Posts Today

6,388Users online

Martin's Twitter