Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paul.
    • By Paul. 10th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paul.
    Car Insurance - A Few Questions
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    Car Insurance - A Few Questions 10th Mar 17 at 8:33 PM
    Hello.

I am looking into getting insurance on the family car, with another driver in the household. The car will only be used for going into town, no commuting. I was hoping I could get some answers to a few questions:

1) I am 32, and the other driver in the household is my Aunt, who is 84. She has max no claims. Would it be better for me to be on her insurance, or her to be on mine? In the long term I hope to take over most of the driving in the household.

2) According the blue book, the car is only worth £195. I assume this means that if we ever made a claim the car would be written off, so I was looking at getting Third Party. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 10th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    Who is the registered keeper?

Might be easier, if, for example your Aunt were to stop driving for medical reasons in the future, for you to be the registered keeper and main insured driver and for her to be on your policy.

For third party / fully comp, read the advice re car insurance on MSE.
    • Paul.
    • By Paul. 10th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul.
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    My aunt is the registered keeper.

I have looked into it a bit since my first post, and it seems like if she is on my insurance, and still the registered keeper, the insurance premium shoots up (£500 if I own the car, £1100 if she does).

The insurance is due April 2nd, we just got the reminder today, so I don't know if there would be time to change the keeper before then.

If I go with Halifax, and am a named driver on her insurance, it comes to just over £400 which seems pretty good. Unless someone can think of a reason not to, I'll probably go with this, at least this year, and then sort out changing the registered keeper before next years insurance is due.

I assume if I change the registered keeper I need to re-tax the car because it'll be in my name. If that's the case, I'll definitely wait as it is due in December.

Edit:: I also looked into fully comp vs 3rd party, and it works out cheaper for fully comp anyway, so no worries there.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    • 25,094 Posts
    • 9,958 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:48 AM
    If she can no longer drive then your policy may end. Do you have any no claims discount yourself?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Paul.
    • By Paul. 11th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul.
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    Unfortunately no, I used to have a couple of years on my provisional licence but I didn't drive for a few years and it's now back to 0.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 11th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    Who will drive it more? They need to be the main driver.
    Capital One:£1,259.40/£1,300.00
    Aqua: £273.29/£300.00
    o2: £221.00 / £271.00
    • Paul.
    • By Paul. 11th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul.
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:35 PM
    Well for now certainly my aunt. I think the only time I would be driving the car more would be when I got my full licence and took over more of the driving for her.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    Can you be classed as the' main driver' if you haven't passed your test yet?
    • Paul.
    • By Paul. 11th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paul.
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    I'm not sure. I did try getting a quote with me as the main driver, and it gave me quotes, so I assume it is ok.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 15,504 Thanks
    Quentin
    I'm not sure. I did try getting a quote with me as the main driver, and it gave me quotes, so I assume it is ok.
    Originally posted by Paul.
    If you put in the quote details that you will be the main driver, then the quote returned will be based on what you have told them.

However all info you put down on your quote application must be true!

If you make any false statements (eg that you will be the main driver when in fact it will be your Aunt), then you would be guilty of making a fraudulent application and can expect the policy to be cancelled when they discover the truth, which could be a big problem if that discovery is made when someone has made a claim against you!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 31,495 Posts
    • 15,504 Thanks
    Quentin
    Well for now certainly my aunt. I think the only time I would be driving the car more would be when I got my full licence and took over more of the driving for her.
    Originally posted by Paul.
    However you decide to deal with this, make sure that any insurer you choose will be happy to continue with you being covered by the policy once you pass your test.

Some insurers happy to cover learner drivers will not continue cover once the learner passes and becomes a "novice" full licence holder.

(Also bear in mind that once you pass your test the premium is likely to go up noticeably for you to remain covered)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter