Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 10th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,142Posts
    • 906Thanks
    TheShape
    Apply for another?
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    Apply for another? 10th Mar 17 at 6:59 PM
    Applied and accepted for Halifax no-fee )% BT Credit Card with £8000 limit on 03/03/17 with the intention to transfer balance from 0% purchase card that is approaching its limit and a possible transfer of a positive balance from an MBNA card (would be my first attempt at this).

However, on 07/03/17 I received an email from MBNA with a good Money Transfer Offer (until 31st March) and decided that a couple of Money Transfers followed by Balance Transfers would fill the card at limited cost and preserve the balance of my 0% purchase card.

Getting a little greedy, I also applied for a Virgin no-fee 0% BT card early hours of 09/03/17, only given £3300 limit but confirmed today.

Given that I should be able to fill both the Halifax and Virgin cards via the Money Transfer to Balance Transfer route should I apply for another? Sainsbury's has another no-fee 0% BT offer and I could always make use of the extra funds. All the 3%+ options are full but there is always Club Lloyds (almost empty), a pair of new Virgin Money Regular Savers (minimum balances) ,S&S ISA and p2p.

Cards at present with cc limits/approx balances:

Nationwide £5300/£300 (I should have reduced this limit as it's higher than presently needed)
    TSB 0% purchase £4000/£2800
    Tesco 0% BT £6800/£4100
    MBNA £5200/£4940 (the Money Transfer - soon to be BT'd to Halifax)
    Halifax £8000/£0 (see above)
    Virgin £3300/£0

Total £32600/£12140

Income £27k so I recon I'm starting to push things with the credit limit but credit file in good order.

So, what are the chances of another accepted application? Chuck in another application or two? Request an increased limit with MBNA and go for some even larger MTs/BTs if I get another BT card or two?
Page 1
    • A4445
    • By A4445 10th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    A4445
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    I'd give Barclaycard a go.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 10th Mar 17, 11:23 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:23 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:23 PM
    I'd give Barclaycard a go.
    Originally posted by A4445
    I closed a Barclaycard card about a month ago. Don't know if that would matter.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 11th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 616 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    A4445
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    You could try if you weren't eligible I expect they would reject the application before the credit check.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 11th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    I've applied for a Sainsburys Card.

MSE eligibility checker thinks I'm ineligible for a new Barclaycard, presumably as I've been customer in the last six months.

Was just about to apply for a BOS card also(no-fee, 0% BT for 24 mths) but hesitant due to the Halifax Card being so new.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    I've applied for a Sainsburys Card.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Like Barclaycard, those 2.25% minimums on Sainsbury's make a dent in the stooz pot balance!
    Was just about to apply for a BOS card also(no-fee, 0% BT for 24 mths) but hesitant due to the Halifax Card being so new.
    In my experience (late last year whilst stoozing a BoS no-fee card), they don't allow another 0% prime card if you already have one. Remember, both are issued by BoS. However, if you are ineligible then the good news is that you find out online before the credit search is made, ie it's a 'policy rule' decline. So maybe you could try it and see if it's still the same. If you're successful I might give it a go myself!
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 11th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    Thanks for that.

Like Barclaycard, those 2.25% minimums on Sainsbury's make a dent in the stooz pot balance!
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Yes, the 2.25% will make a dent but I'm taking the view that I could get around £20k of Money Transfers so I might as well grab what I can.

In my experience (late last year whilst stoozing a BoS no-fee card), they don't allow another 0% prime card if you already have one. Remember, both are issued by BoS. However, if you are ineligible then the good news is that you find out online before the credit search is made, ie it's a 'policy rule' decline. So maybe you could try it and see if it's still the same. If you're successful I might give it a go myself!
    That they're both BOS was my concern. I think I read (perhaps on the LLoyd's website) that Lloyd's group allow 5 total cards, no more than 2 with each member of the group. Of course, whether they can be the 0% prime cards, I don't know.

If I get time I'll be a guinea pig and try tonight, If not it will be tomorrow.
    Last edited by TheShape; 11-03-2017 at 7:53 PM.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    If I get time I'll be a guinea pig and try tonight, If not it will be tomorrow.
    Just tried for the Halifax fee-free card from within my Halifax online area and got...
    There’s a problem…

Unfortunately it's not possible to hold this credit card at the same time as one of your existing Halifax credit cards.
    I currently hold a BoS fee-free card, and my last Halifax card was closed in January 2016.

So it looks like it's still the same?

NB: This was done by clicking straight through on the apply button. I didn't do the eligibility check, so maybe there's a glitch? Anyway, we'll find out if there is if/when you report back.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 11th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    Quite quickly received the following pressing the submit button.

Sorry, we can’t offer you a credit card

We've carefully considered your application but unfortunately, it's not been successful on this occasion. We appreciate that this decision may be a disappointment, so we'd like to explain how the bank reaches its lending decisions and any steps you could take if you think our decision is unjustified.

To help us reach a decision, we use a ‘credit scoring’ system along with our lending rules.

Our credit scoring system gives a continuous credit score for a customer based on the performance on any LBG accounts and on monthly information provided by the credit reference agencies. Please visit our website to find out more about credit scoring.
    I made the application without first logging in so I don't know if the decline message would have been the same had I been logged in. Third guinea pig needed to test.

Not too many other cards to try
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I think I read (perhaps on the LLoyd's website) that Lloyd's group allow 5 total cards, no more than 2 with each member of the group. Of course, whether they can be the 0% prime cards, I don't know.
    Thanks for the prompt. I'm part way through a Lloyds Platinum slow-stooz and just threw in a speculative application for the Lloyds Platinum fee-free BT card which was accepted. Limit not as good as I'd hoped, and only got 13 months, but it all counts!

It's been over 6 months (might be 8-9) since Virgin declined me, so I may try there tomorrow for the fee-free card. Just hope there are no issues muling through my Virgin Atlantic card (if accepted of course!). Shouldn't be since it's still with MBNA.

Bad luck on the BoS application.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 12th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    TheShape
    In hindsight, an application for a Lloyd's card may have been more likely to succeed given that it's not an HBOS card although obviously still LBG. I'll perhaps try for that later in the year if needed.

My TSB 0% purchases card will be at its limit once I pay my council tax on it this month so to continue the stooz I'm either going to need a BT card to pay that off or another 0% purchase card.
    Unfortunately, the TSB 0% was only for 10 mths rather than the 20 mths I'd hoped for.

I've already had a provisional offer of another card from Tesco (my cc account is now 6mths old) so hopefully that will be an option.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I've already had a provisional offer of another card from Tesco (my cc account is now 6mths old) so hopefully that will be an option.
    I had a second Tesco card offered last year (guaranteed acceptance), and the limit was twice that given for the first one a few months earlier!

Just to give some feedback from last night...Virgin still don't want me! Maybe they think (stoozing) debt equating to 100% of salary spread over 6 of my 11 cards is too much. Either that or the near 250% of salary in available credit! Shame they don't take into account my savings account balances with them!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I had a second Tesco card offered last year (guaranteed acceptance), and the limit was twice that given for the first one a few months earlier!

Just to give some feedback from last night...Virgin still don't want me! Maybe they think (stoozing) debt equating to 100% of salary spread over 6 of my 11 cards is too much. Either that or the near 250% of salary in available credit! Shame they don't take into account my savings account balances with them!
    That's totally unreasonable not too give your money back to you for free when they're paying you 2.25%, formal complaint?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 12th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 29,614 Posts
    • 17,470 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    That's totally unreasonable not too give your money back to you for free when they're paying you 2.25%, formal complaint?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Only have 4 or 5 regular savers with them. Most of it is at 1.1% or thereabouts in an ISA and esaver. Perhaps they think I don't need it, or they need it more than me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

4,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @garethh1992: @MartinSLewis My GF is a leaver and I?m a proud remoaner. You?ve got to respect everyone?s right to disagree with you. I t?

• Today's twitter poll: If someone admits to you their Brexit view is different to yours (eg you're a remainer, they? https://t.co/c4WZQpfrg3

• Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• Follow Martin