Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ginger16
    • By Ginger16 10th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ginger16
    Can a recent conveyancing search be reused?
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:25 PM
    Can a recent conveyancing search be reused? 10th Mar 17 at 5:25 PM
    Seller bought the property in Dec 2016, didn't like the area so is selling it again chain free.

We have rented in the area for years and just agreed purchase, chain free first time buyers.

Is it ok to ask the seller for their conveancing search information and use it to save some ££££?

I assume with large property chains that last 12 months+ these searches must have a validity for a certain time? We were planning to use an alternative branch of their solicitor for speed so they may just say no, but is there a technical reason a solicitor/bank might reject it as invalid?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 4,328 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    Not a "technical" reason but the lifespan is typically six months - so depends how old they are and when you're completing.

ETA: Sorry, just realised what you're planning - your lender is likely to have trouble with the fact that the seller has owned for less than six months, so you'd best check that first, before worrying about the searches.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 10-03-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 6,498 Posts
    • 16,849 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    No formal reason, but have the money ready in case mortgage broker etc dislike the idea. It's not unreasonable, but they're the ones lending the money.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 30,923 Posts
    • 16,481 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    Seller bought the property in Dec 2016, didn't like the area so is selling it again chain free.

We have rented in the area for years and just agreed purchase, chain free first time buyers.

Is it ok to ask the seller for their conveancing search information and use it to save some ££££?

I assume with large property chains that last 12 months+ these searches must have a validity for a certain time? We were planning to use an alternative branch of their solicitor for speed so they may just say no, but is there a technical reason a solicitor/bank might reject it as invalid?
    Originally posted by Ginger16
    Will you require a mortgage?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Ginger16
    • By Ginger16 10th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ginger16
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    We will require a mortgage (80%) but I am acutely aware that their quick turn around is unusual and I plan to do as much dilligence as I can. I know there is a lot of Artex in the house (1970s build) so I want to get it sampled for asbestos. But I see no reason why we can't see the survey that they had completed in order to give us confidence which hopefully the bank will be comforted by aswell.
    Last edited by Ginger16; 10-03-2017 at 7:15 PM. Reason: typo
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 17,023 Posts
    • 12,709 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    You now seem to have moved on from searches to surveys, which is a different kettle of fish altogether. Your mortgage provider is very unlikely to accept a valuation that has not been commissioned by them and you even if the seller is willing and able to show you their survey.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 28,735 Posts
    • 18,147 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    Whats wrong with the area ?

Your not concerned by it.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • Ginger16
    • By Ginger16 10th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ginger16
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    Just to clarify, I would like to reuse just the searches completed by the solicitor; but as davidmcn highlighted the lender may not like the time scales (I think generally this is a guideline to reduce fraud) so seeing surveys is more for my personal confidence before I pay for fresh surveys. I have no doubt the lender will want to survey wholly on their terms.

Who wouldn't want to live in my area! ... maybe I lower the local house prices? tbh I think it is just a load of fluff to hide either his personal situation changing (single guy buying a 3bed?) or he found something bad in the structure.
    Last edited by Ginger16; 10-03-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 38,492 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    You lender is unlikely to accept the searches, and will instruct their solicitor to undertake new ones. But (assuming you and your lender use the same solicitor) you could always ask the solicitor and see.

As for surveys, the lender will not be concerned about these - they are optional anyway, so it's up to you to decide.

The lender will, though, instruct a surveyor to do the standard Valuation.
    Last edited by G_M; 11-03-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    • tacticalbanjo
    • By tacticalbanjo 11th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tacticalbanjo
    Before you do anything you need to check that your lender doesn't have a problem with the fact that the house has been owned for less than six months before its being sold. Many mortgage companies won't touch properties that have been owned for less than six months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

2,130Users online

Martin's Twitter