Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bagnallman
    • By bagnallman 10th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bagnallman
    Criminal Damage Compensation
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    Criminal Damage Compensation 10th Mar 17 at 6:10 PM
    Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, but I have found similar questions involving criminal damage claims have been asked within here.

I hope someone could give me advice on the following as I am unable to contact a solicitor until Monday.

Basically, I have been a victim of criminal damage to my vehicle - the individual was caught, arrested and sentenced to 10 weeks in prison.

I provided a statement on the Thursday and he was sentenced on the Friday. As part of my witness statement I provided details on the damage caused and also a quote for the cost of the repairs to the sum of 1500.

He pleaded guilty and I have been informed I have only been awarded 120 of compensation. Which I find absolutely ridiculous.

I am yet to receive a letter from the magistrates court detailing how the compensation will be paid or if I can contest the low amount or if the decision is final.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Can I contest the amount?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by bagnallman; 10-03-2017 at 6:14 PM.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    Wait until you get your letter.

If it's anything less than 5 every two weeks he hasn't got the means to pay so there'll be no point in contesting it.

The truth is he probably won't pay any compo or fine and would rather do another day inside.
    • bagnallman
    • By bagnallman 11th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bagnallman
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    Cheers for the reply, hard lessen learned
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 17, 1:37 AM
    • 24,969 Posts
    • 9,904 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:37 AM
    One of life's mysteries where crime doesnt pay (the victim pays instead).
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin