Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cortney
    • By Cortney 10th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Cortney
    Dentist negligence claim
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    Dentist negligence claim 10th Mar 17 at 5:47 PM
    Need a suggest about dentist mistake issue.
    In October 2016 I broke my tooth (small piece).
    I went to my dentist and she said I need a filling. It was small (not deep) filling.
    I have got it!
    Yesterday (09 March 2017) I went to another dentist (about wisdom tooth) and she suggested me to make a big x-ray of my teeth to be sure what is wrong with my wisdom tooth. After the x-ray she noted something is wrong with the tooth with that filling. The tooth decay under the filling and I have an infection there.
    The new dentist suggested me RCT, it is very expensive procedure...
    So if that filling is new, but tooth decay under the filling, I think it could be my first dentist mistake? The air comes under the filling.
    Another problem - two months ago my first dentist removed my tooth (another tooth) but remained a piece in the gum. New doctor notes that there is a piece of tooth's root inside.

I will have a consultation with a solicitor next Wednesday.
    Who have ideas about this issues? Can I claim compensation from my first dentist?
    Thank you for any suggestions!
    Sorry if something is wrong with my English, I hope you understand me!
Page 1
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 10th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    Extracting a tooth is a difficult procedure. A well known complication , particularly if the tooth is very broken down , is a piece of root or tooth can be left behind. Modern thinking is that ,given time , most often the piece of tooth will make its own way to the surface with no further problems. You should be informed there is a piece of tooth left but having a piece of tooth left behind after an extraction is not negligence in itself.

When someone has a lot of decay in a tooth and it is very deep and close to the nerve there comes a point where if the dentist removes any more decay the nerve will be exposed. If the nerve is still alive they may chose to leave some decay over the top to let things settle down. Again you should be informed but this is not negligence necessarily.

You have a lot of dental problems and decay , the dentist did not cause that decay and some of the problems you talk about are the consequences of trying to deal with a lot of decay .

Hopefully alongside your rush to the solicitor you have started to make the changes to diet and cleaning , and started to have a long term relationship with a dentist you trust to enable you to make the lifestyle choices to have a healthier mouth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,441Posts Today

8,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin